Our 2006 310SG is having some starting problems. The backhoe does not start all the time. Sometimes it will pop the 10a fuse for the starter that is located under the front dash. Other times you turn the key and you hear a clicking sound under the front dash (where the fuses are located.) but will not try to start. A couple of times it would crank a half crank and then stop cranking. I hope this is not to confusing. What I have done to get it started is just let it sit for a while and eventually it will start. Or just replace the fuse if it has blown and then sometimes it will start. I took the starter out and had it checked and had any worn parts replaced, That did not fix the problem. The backhoe has about 3000hrs on it.
If you haven't checked, make sure your ground wire is clean on both ends. Are your battery/s checking out?
Just a shot in the dark, having neither worked on nor do I have the electrical diagram for this machine. but is there an electrical relay under the dash in the starter cct? (making the clicking sound) If there is and the relay coil is not pulling in the contact all the way, that could cause a poor connection to the starter as well as blow the 10a control fuse.
Alright I have done some work to try and find what the problem is. I found out that it blows the 10amp fuse every time you try to start. I have one 10amp fuse that must be a little stronger and it will not blow that one. So I use it when trying to start. I hope that makes sense. I called my local Deere dealer and they helped me locate the starter relay it is under the hood near the air cleaner. I looked like the connections were a bit corroded so I took it apart and cleaned them put it back together and still no go. So I thought maybe it was the relay its self. So I took one out of our other backhoe. Still no start. I then put my finger on the relay when I turn the key and I could not feel it working. So that is were I am at now. What would cause it to not work, and also blow the fuse. Any help would be great. Thanks.
So I did some more trouble shooting and this is what I cam up with. There is power at the starter relay (test light) I Then took a wire and jumped the red wire and large white one and the backhoe started. there are two other smaller wires going to the relay. white and back. I guessing the small white one is the problem. No power going to it to engage the relay??? I am stumped why it is blowing the fuse.
I would look for a either a completely broken or, more likely a wire that has the insulation worn off and shorting out to ground. The short to ground would cause the fuses to blow and then sometimes a fuse will last for a few starts. A worse case situation would be the problem is in the wire harness. I had the same situation a couple of years ago in a machine that belonged to a friend of mine . I never did find the break inside the harness. I repaired it by running a new wire from the starter relay to the starter switch. I threaded the new wire along the harness and tie wraped it to it. It is still working with no problems. It also was a John Deere . I don't remember what model it was.
Also check that 10 amps is indeed the right fuse size. Do not over size or you may be throwing dirt.
My thoughts exactly Tinkerer. The way the wiring harness is routed around the various components on backhoes, it's not unusual for vibration to rub into the harness. And it can be a PITA to find it short of taking the machine apart!
This may sound a little hillbilly but sometimes hillbilly is good...... If you cant find the broken wire readily, i would just run a new wire with a fuseable link in it. I had a old Ford pickup that had a similar problem with the wiring going to the fuel pump. I looked for probably 10-15 hrs. I got so mad i just ran a new wire altogether and never had a problem again. Sounds like a broken or rubbing wire is the problem though
I have found in several cases where the factory assemblers seem to think that wire ties are a challenge to see how tight they can get without breaking. Problem is that over time the wires in the harness are squeezed so tight that over time with heating and cooling the insulation on the wires starts to extrude allowing the insulation to get so thin that adjacent wires have so little insulation between them allowing partial or full shorts between the wires, very difficult to trace.
Sounds like I will be checking the wiring next. Its weird though I played around with it the whole afternoon yesterday to try and figure out what was wrong and it did not try to start once. This morning I went into the shop and for the hell of it I thought I would try and it fired right up
I might have your answer there Canadian Digger.I have a 410G with similar problems---it's so seldom though and easy enough to overcome,I still haven't got there yet in fixing it.Under your fuse cover,there is a black solenoid or relay,can't remember which that is problematic.I know when it's not going to start because it also controls the heater/AC blower motor and the pilot controls on the hoe.It usually will act up in very cold weather.I will either tap it some or if it still doesn't behave,I'll put some temporary heat inside the cab[as told to me by my JD service dep't.]Apparently,the contacts inside get stuck and don't let it ''switch on.''The dealer told me it's one of those things that Mama Deere knows about but won't offer a free replacement. Hope this helps.
Mine seems to start first thing in the morning. If you work it for a while and shut it down that seems to be when it doesn't want to start. I will check to see if the heater motor will run when it doesn't want to start.
310sg I was also wondering why does tractor starts when battery charger is hooked up and will not turn over with out.
The relay under the front dash is the accessory relay. It feeds all fuses that are key switch power. If I get some time at work tomorrow I will take pics of wiring diagrams to help.
310sg Thanks for the help, I will check all the information you have provided
310sg Ok that's should help me out