Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD310 fuel filter leaking?

lobo ยท 2011-01-12 17:19

Eversince I changed the 1st fuel filter, glass bowl type, I always get a little drip. Falls right over top of the starter. Any tricks to this simple procedure I must be doing wrong? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1stock2011-01-12 18:30

    Need to check the rubber seals,if you let it persist you may have a scorching time...............................

  2. #2willie592011-01-12 20:09

    Are you referring to one of these filters? If so, check the filter base very closely where the three rubber grommets seat against filter base. Clean those spots of debris, check for pits/corrosion of aluminum at those spots, check for any cracks. Lube the three grommets with a little grease or petroleum jelly. Place filter against filter base, and set spring retainer clamp. Once retainer clamp is in place, grasp filter and give it just a slight twist CW and CCW to make sure rubber grommets have seated. At the top of filter base, on the left or right side (depending on your fuel line connections), there will be a 9/16" hex head plug, that's the bleeder screw. Unscrew the bleeder screw, operate manual lever on lift pump to fill filter with fuel. Once full, close bleeder screw. Operate the manual lever a couple more strokes to pressurize system. Clean the spilled diesel fuel around the filter with starting fluid or brake cleaner. Once cleaner has evaporated, operate machine and check for leaks.

  3. #3motrack2011-01-12 20:44

    Something else to look at....... the bail that goes around the filter and hooks to the filter base maybe starting to flatten out. This reduces the spring pressure holding the filter to the base. I have had to rebend a few of them over the years.

  4. #4lobo2011-01-13 12:40

    Thanks for the great information, ordered a new filter yesterday afternoon. I am heading to the napa store right now. This leak always starts slowley and then gets worse over time. Great advice as always. Thanks Randy

  5. #5motrack2011-01-13 13:45

    Something I forgot to mention...... if your filter base has the clamp which goes around the filter you can use the glass filter, but if your filter base has the small wire clips on each side of the filter base you must use the METAL filter. The 2 clip style filter base will not clamp down a glass filter.

  6. #6Deon2011-01-14 18:57

    I have a 1992 310D with the exact same filter. Mine was leaking so I purchased a new one from UAP. After removing the old filter I found that the aluminum housing that is mounted to the motor was corroding in around where the seals seat. I carefully cleaned off the corrosion and installed the new filter. Leak is repaired. Caution: When cleaning off the corrosion, you need to end up with a smooth seat surface. If there is pitting after your cleaning is done then you will need to apply automotive silicone (very small amount) on the seat when installing the filter. Let it set overnight before pumping fuel into the filter. Good luck.

  7. #7lobo2011-01-16 10:12

    Fuel filter not problem. Fuel line from filter around back side of engine and over to injection pump had a wear spot from rubbing. What a pain, got it off last night. Glad to have found the problem finally.

  8. #8tuney4432011-01-16 11:52

    I Remember having that very same problem lobo on my 510B years ago.

  9. #9willie592011-01-16 15:13

    Thanks for posting the follow up lobo. It's nice to see a problem have a resolution, instead of just hanging the indefinitely.