Hello everyone. Just wondering what it would take to run hydraulic aux lines to the front bucket to attach a brush cutter. My 310SJ already has lines going to the back. Not sure if I would be able to tap into these, put manual valves (3 way) to select flow direction. Is this feasible so I can go ahead and figure it out solidly? Anyone doing this already? I have seen Forax Attachments running a 3 blade brush mower out front but no clue on what it takes to get hydraulic flow to this area of the machine. I would like to keep functionality on the rear too. Not at the same time but selectable. Thanks for your kind attention!
You can go to partscatalog.deere.com and research the aux hydraulic kits for front and rear.
I think the biggest problem may be being able to run constant flow to a mower like that without overheating the hydraulics.
Hello Tags, Well, if that concern arises, could be taken care of by use of an additional cooler to the factory installed one. However, these systems should be designed precisely for that use. The hydraulic motor would be standard flow type and the use will be intermittent. Think about a road sweeper attachment up front. Very similar stuff. I think a major issue will be connecting and routing the hoses from the valve body in the rear to the front. I wish more information was available to figure this out. I have a thick O&M book from John Deere but the information on the hydraulic circuit is very limited. Tried getting at least a circuit schematic but looks like it's classified information. Sadly, dealers are not forthcoming to providing this type of information and see someone looking for help as a nuisance. I would be moved to buy parts from them if they were more amicable on this issue. It's not like I am a competing service outlet, I am just a DIY like many on this forum.
Hello Steve, Went there but wasn't successful in finding the information. The website is more oriented to ag and garden tractors. Anyway, thanks much for your kind help.
Ricardo, just use 310SJ in the model search.
Ricardo that parts site works for ag an construction equipment just type in your model number. Do you know the GPM required for the attachment you are wanting to install I have installed aux kits coming off the loader control valve if you can tell us how many GPM are required will be help full.
Hello Steve, Went back to partscatalog.deere.com but was not successful finding anyhting that may include front and back. My 310SJ has a 4-in-1 loader bucket that I guess takes its flow from the loader valve. I am planning on using a 10-20 gpm hydraulic motor to power the mower. I guess it is a matter of getting a one way flow hose and another dumping the return to the tank but first going through an oil cooler. Your comments are appreciated.
Ricardo how will this mower be mounted to your 310SJ?
This is a planned project and I am not completely sure yet. What is certain is I will devise some form of attachment to the existing bucket. Maybe some way to bolt it on in combination with some clamping by the clamshell. I am trying to figure if I would be able to route hydraulic flow to the front. See video below from Forax Equipment. Also thought about a self contained unit powered by a 20 HP gasoline engine as used on mowers. Tilt/lifting of unit maybe using a 12V DC hydraulic power unit with double acting cylinder. That way I could forget about using the on board hydraulics. Any thoughts on this?
Ricardo first time I have seen one of these cutter attached to a backhoe. You already have a three spool loader valve sense you have a clamshell. Deere does provide a handheld kit but I do not know how many gallon it would provide. Posting the video may help someone else on the forum come up with an answer. I find out a solution I will update.
I would suggest reaching out to Forax for the installation instructions. Looking at the video, the lines are running down the right side of the machine and where they go is the question. I would imagine they would sell a kit to install that cutter because the lines on the machine in that video did not come from Deere.
Good morning, Thanks for viewing my post on this subject. I reached out to them in the past and got a quote for the attachment. It didn't mention about the hoses or any kit. As you suggested, yes, I should go back to them and ask more specifically. However, I guess John Deere would have already figured out how to get hydraulic flow (15-25 gpm) to the front loader area. I have seen several attachments from JD such as road sweepers that would need a very similar installation. It's very painstaking to get information on these machines. I purchased a Repair Tech Manual some time ago and it is not very helpful. Instructions are very vague and this one in particular doesn't show a hydraulic system schematic. Supposedly, TM10848 Test & Operation Manual has one but I am wary about purchasing and getting a bunch of pages (800+) of photos and gibberish again. Wish someone on this forum direct me to a reliable source for information. Thanks again and have a good day.
Post your machine serial number and I'll supply you with the correct publication number for your machine. There are currently 2 Operation and Test manuals listed for a 310SJ. The Operation and Test manual have the theory, diagnostics, and schematics for your machine (except the engine, that's another manual). The multi-purpose bucket hydraulics could be used or the hand held tool hydraulics kit could also be utilized (I think that will work when operating with seat forward). The hand held kit plumbs off the selective control valve section off your backhoe control valve (if you have that option). The maximum flow from the selective flow valve is 25 gpm. There is a kit available for this.
Ok mg2361, I greatly appreciate your kind help. The serial number is *1T0310SJABD212414* (photo attached) This unit came from the City of St. Petersburg in FL and when I tried getting information on its service history (so I could know where to keep going) they weren't forthcoming to share much. So, I am doing this sleuth work to try and understand my machine better. Regarding the front hydraulics, I would suppose maybe some sort of diverting valve could be fitted from the aux hydraulic valve in the back to direct flow via additional hoses to the front. But am not sure how to do this. Again, thanks for reading my post.
TM10848 is the manual you would need. It can be purchased here . It is tee'd into the auxiliary outlet hose. I still think the best thing to do is get instructions from the Forax company on that particular unit. The problem with this kit, I think, is the hoses will be too small and excessive heat will be generated. Also, in looking at the video I see two sets of hoses/tubes running along the loader. One set for running the cutter itself and one for raising and lowering it. The hand held kit will only get you one distinct flow to the cutter. So, you would still need to figure out how to get control to it. Check your messages.
Hello mg, Thank you so much for your insight. Yes, I might send a request on Monday to Forax to see of they will shed light on this. I am also considering an alternative to the side mounted cutter as seen on the video and instead devise/adapt one of these 8 ft rotary cutters on front. Either way I need to get hydraulic flow in enough amount and in a proper way to the front loader area. I agree that the hand held tool kit might be for lower and intermittent flows. Again, there are lot of kits out there but for Ag tractors. Very limited to none information can be found for backhoes. I did see your message but I'm not sure how to reply. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the manuals. Have a great weekend to all!