Ive looked at a couple used ex120's and found a 311 and 312 that I havent seen yet. How much of a difference is there between the three? The generic specs seem pretty similar between the three, weights within 2k lbs, HP around 10. Ill be using them for personal property cleanup, digging and burying stumps, building rock walls.
Hitachi makes a better machine in my opinion. It has been my experience that they are cheaper to run and the components are much longer lasting.
IF it were at all possible to park all 3 side by side ..... the differences would be very obvious ....... have had this pissing match going on for years now .... have had a 312 for about 12yrs now and STILL going very strong ..... according to the specs an Ex 120 weighs 11,700 kgs ...... an older 312 A model like mine weighs 12,850 kgs ----- Stripped down with the shortest boom and stick, the narrowest pads, ect,ect .... no cracks any where ever .... mine weighs 14,700 kgs, with 28"pads, thumb, and 9'-6" stick ..... were as the 120 had to have weight added to get to the 11,700 If you saw a 312 next to an Ex 150 you'd go Hmmmm ...... like mine was, just wish I had the camera there to prove it at the time IMHO, I guess it all comes down to Who puts the HP down to the ground better with the weight to keep the machine in place Also I have picked up many 8,000# septic tanks out of the back of a tandem dump and placed into the ground (with the dig bucket still on) safely, where as the Ex 120 CANNOT even with the bucket off, one of our local contractors has both a 312B and an ex120, and he prefers the 312 any day, claims its smoother on the back, doesn't bounce around as much ...... there are probably 24 Ex 120's around here, most of them being Grey market units (way cheaper to buy), compaired to the 4 or 5 312's/ 314's (same machine except zero swing) Buy machines made for North America ! .... and not Grey market ! JMHO and .02 worth .......:cool2 :beatsme :drinkup
Thanks Craft Any idea how the 311 compares to the 312? They look almost the same. Im going to look at a 311 with aux hydraulics (which Id really like to have), or I have a 312 with mechanical thumb around me available.
Hey ktm il second craft coment about the 312 we often lift a 3ton mini out of tank bases no bother at all which you couldn't dream of with an ex 120. We have an older FH 130 which is heavier than the ex but couldn't touch the 312 for lift. The only down side to the cats is youl give more time with the spanners but youl love them when they are working
With my choice it came down to a few basic things...there seem to be more 311's out there so it's easier to fine one used, I've got the Cat dealer right in my town, and like you said, there isn't much difference between the two really (at least going by the specs). You seem like you're going for an older (and less expensive) machine than I did, but I went for the 311 because I can get parts easily, I really liked the blade (I'm going to be doing essentially the same thing you're doing, stumping, de-sapling-ing, moving rocks around and changing a few landscape features on 30-40 acres of my 75, plus building some woods roads and digging a well for garden water), I watched a guy use a slightly smaller Takeuchi and was impressed by what he could do with the blade (I had the opinion it was a waste of steel before). I was able to get a "new" 311 that Milton Cat trucked in from NY for me with a hydraulic thumb. It's been out on rent, so they're going through it and doing the complete 'bring it back to new condition' service before they drop it off at my place. Almost all my friends who run equipment told me 312 at the least, and 315 better. The Cat sales people I talked to showed me the numbers. Of course, they also told me that older machines are weaker, so it depends on what year you're looking at too. You know, like an 08 311 is stronger than a 01 312 type of thing.
I'd like to see that.
Hey, I am a Mechanical Engineering student and am looking at doing a project comparing the different air conditioning set ups between any kind of backhoes. I have actually done an internship with Cat working on HVAC units. I am looking for any sort of comments on what operators like and don't like about the HVAC units ( this could be controls, temperature, blower speeds, fogging of the windows, ect...). I would like to get a different variety of machines in the conversation from cat, komatsu, deer, volvo, and case. I just would like to hear a comparison of the different machines to see what operators think is the HVAC set up in the cab. I am trying to start a converstion in the Backhoes section too but since this is my first posts I cannot start a new thread only reply to them. I am hoping someone may take this an create a new thread for opperators to talk about what they like and dislike. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ( Post replies to this question in this thread. Digger242j )
I won't hesitate in recommending a 312. They are very capable little machines, and when equipped with a blade in front, they can match the lift capacity of a 315. They are also fairly reliable, have good engines, and nice cabs. The 311 is similar to the EX120, but it has a nicer CAT cab. The EX120s aren't bad, but given these three models, it would be my last choice due to the weaker hydraulics compared to a 312 (less breakout, crowd, and lift force), less nice cab, and because I'm a CAT guy (despite the fact that my own excavator is a Deere). You'll make use of the 312's extra strength for the stump work. Every little bit really helps.
I forgot to mention this: the 311 is a reduced tail swing model, so it's good for working in tight quarters.
I can give you a mechanics perspective. I love working on Hitachis. Cat's not so much. We have a 311 and a 312 and a few ex-120s. I'll try to shorten this and no particular order Cats cons: Heater motor behind the seat- major PITA to replace. "Cheese grater" grills on upper deck- painful to work around the engine. Hydraulic filter is in a big canister you have to empty- retarded. Belts are harder to get at. Interior plastic pieces and upholstery don’t hold up very well. Cats pros: The 312 has a digital display you can use for diagnostics. ( I’ll learn to use it someday) Single Inverse mounted oil filter. Easy reach fuel filter and primer pump. Has a battery disconnect switch. Hitachi cons: Some hoses are hard to get at on the valve bank. Haven’t had to change a hose on the cats. 2 oil filters- either poke a hole in them or take a bath. Hard to get valve cover off with out removing hood frame- not a big deal. Fuel primer pump buried. Hitachi pros: Generally easier to work on. It’s fairly obvious how things work and come apart. Good parts books and parts availability.
Well, the 311 didnt pan out. Dealer didnt want to budge on the price because he said he already paid too much for it. it was in good shape other than a couple minor things. The lower front window was missing, the A/C and heater control panel didnt work, and the air filter cover was missing. Maybe the 312 Ive been trying to arrange a time to see will work out. Its got a mechanical thumb though, but Im just getting frustrated.
If the airfilter cover was missing it doesnt say much for the previous owner....that dealer might have just saved you alot of money! Best of luck with the hunt
ktm, have you ever said what your budget is?
20-24k for a plumbed machine. I could always add the thumb later.
Have you seen the one for sale by the rt. 4 Lee traffic circle? I don't know anything about it, it's got a brush grinder head on it now, but it's a Deere 160 or 200, I can't remember, saw it going by a couple of days ago. Guy cleared a lot and parked it there with a sign in the window. Probably wants a lot more than you want to pay though, I know Beauregard has one and they want 50K. I started with your budget and got scared by how much a breakdown in what I might get would cost. I know of a guy in Warner that's got an older Cat, 225, 235...I thought about that but a friend of mine who knows machines pointed out to me that it might work great...but if something goes it's going to be 10 grand if it's a buck.
A good thumb may run around $10K. If you are financing it may be a good idea to get it all at once. You may be able to find one for less but it will come with headaches like: 1) Ensuring that it will fit your machine correctly. 2) Control issues (foot vs. hand, and or what your machine will support, if any). 3) Thumb tooth spacing/bucket tooth spacing interface. 4) Wether the thumb is built for a machine with or without a coupler. 5) Buying and installing (either a new or used thumb) will cost more than buying a used machine already equipped. I suggest that you keep looking and find the machine you want.
Well, I just found the same Kobelco sk135sr LC thats plumbed for a thumb for sale at another dealer. It was for sale at a local dealer but gone when I decided to buy it. Hmm, wonder whats up with that...
I would od some research on that one. Ask the original dealer who he sold it to. If it's not the new dealer, than see if you can talk to the person who did buy it. Talk to the new dealer and inquire as to why it's now at there store. If anything sounds fishy than beware. If you know what you are looking for, and due your homework, you may be fine with that machine.
UGhh, well it doesnt much matter now. They got a deposit on the machine already. Yeah, i get to continue searching:Banghead
Have you ever tried an equipment broker? You simply tell them what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. They do all the leg work, and get back to you with, hopefully, several machines to choose from.
anybody tell me the differance between 312bl and 312cl
about 6 hp
The CL is newer, has about 6 more hp, more computers, more emissions control stuff and is a little smoother and nicer to run than the B.
I would definitely recommend the 312 over any other brand any day. Our underground crew uses a 312C and it has no problem lifting catch basins and everything else. They also have a John Deere 230C but they use the 312C about 75% of the time. Its a very good machine and it's very universal especially with the quick-tach. We traded our 312B for this 312C. When we got rid of it, it had about 15,000 hours on it, and we were having no issues with it what so ever.
Yeah, 312s especially the 312Cs are great machines. I ran a 312C recently and found it to be the fastest, smoothest, and most powerful machine I've ever run in its size class. Competitive machines like John Deere 120s are good, but the 312s are better due to their excellent lift capacity, balance, and power.
I have to agree on the lifting power- our 312bl was able to lift a 8900# amonia compressor the other day, I was impressed. 6000 hrs and still feels good...
KTm, I would recommend a 490E or a 120. More so a later model 490E. If all else fails a EX or ZX120. Try to stay away from any grey market machine. You might get a good deal up front but will cost you down the road. When looking for an excavator I always look for one with a thumb already installed.That way you can get right to work. If you do find one that catches your eyes check the welds on the thumb and the rest of the arm and boom. If you see a crack on the stick or thumb just be sure to get that resolved before you leave with it. I've put a good many hours on a 490E and operated most others besides a new volvo and still like the 490E and ZX120.