Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3116 cat tooling

1080 bobcat ยท 2010-12-20 00:27

:Banghead:Bangheadi am looking for the tooling to set the injector on the 3116 engine i need the mrc tooling & the tooling to ream the injector cups if anybody got some for to sell please let me know thanks

Replies14
  1. #1GOINGBROKE2010-12-24 09:42

    1080, The only thing that I have seen after market is this http://meyermrc.com/products.shtml . Was close to buying it but then talked myself out of it, afraid that I then might be tempted to work on more of them. Always thought they were a pain in the butt

  2. #21080 bobcat2010-12-24 16:13

    goingbroke,i called the company you talk about about a month ago they said it be about 1-2 month before could get one because some of parts were b/o they are a pain the butt to fix the tooling you need to fix these engine rigth from cat &mrc cost over 4000

  3. #3abaker48092011-07-25 13:59

    Hello I have a CAT 223-2454 Tool Group on 3114,3116 & 3126 Engines with Mechanical Unit Injectors (MUI). This tooling set was left to me by my Father and he only used it once but I have no idea what it is for and could anyone help me out with some info.

  4. #4Lee-online2011-07-25 19:06

    You dont always need to ream the cups. If you are just replacing the injectors and there was not other problems then you can just clean the cup with a wire bottle brush. Cat did change their instructions at some point to reflect this.

  5. #5rare ss2011-07-26 09:25

    our local CAT dealer has been caught out afew times from this, i was of the assumtion that you cant ream the seats twice and causes dramas down the track, every time we had an injector replaced we would just get the dealer out and fit a new seat, ream it and fit the injector prink of an engine IMO were only getting around 5000hrs out of our 3116 equiped 950F/FII but same application, maintainance and operators we were getting 12,000hrs+ from the 3126 in the 950G's

  6. #6Lee-online2011-07-26 18:17

    If the cup is clean with no carbon tracking marks and no pitted or eroded marks where the injector seated then clean it with the wire bottle brush. When we cut them we use 3 shims under the cutter, if that doesn't clean it up, use 2 shims. When you get down to 1 shim the injector may drag the head and then its time for a new cup. In the past we have had customers do all the work except cutting, seating and setting up. They then only pay a couple hours of labor. To get a little more out of a 3116 we always set the fuel spec to the high side of spec, sync it dead on and advanced the timing 1mm. We have also played with the torque screw on the governor but normally isn't needed.

  7. #7Cmark2011-07-27 16:38

    Personally, I don't bother reaming any more. The cups are cheap and not hard to replace so if I find a suspect one, I'll just replace it. The latest instruction has a tool to force the injectors down into the soft metal of the cup to create a good seal. I've been using this method for the past four years or so, and have had zero failures. (so far....)

  8. #8jbrice2011-09-22 19:36

    If you have the still have the tool group, i might be interested in buying it. Contact me on here or at [email protected]

  9. #9abaker48092011-09-23 10:32

    Hello, I still have it you can contact me at [email protected] . Thanks!

  10. #10pgmayhe2012-02-21 17:42

    223 2454 tool group do you still have this tool group. I would like to buy it from you

  11. #11Emakson2014-04-18 19:13

    Hi, I know this was posted long time ago. But, do you still have CAT 223-2454 tool group. I am looking to buy one

  12. #12jncjoe12014-04-18 23:33

    I have the tooling group to set all the injectors valves and governor I only used it 2or3 times I think I was around 1070 new if you want it I'll give you an deal you can't refuse call me 810 479 7080 thanks I'm joe

  13. #13cfw32016-04-17 11:16

    I am also looking for this tool group to work on the injectors of my 3116. Cat 223-2454. If anyone has one for sale I am interested in buying it. Thank you, Chuck

  14. #14CableDW10cat2016-04-17 12:17

    Ebay has a set or two on a regular basis.