What kind of certifications does one typically need? Since you work with Diesel Engines and stuff, any Diesel certs or anything?
Really wish I had certs but I just started as a mechanics helper. He didn't have certs either.
you have to start somewhere i was fresh out of high school when i started wrenching full time at a dealership. All the formal traing i had was a school years worth 5 6 months of diesel class which when i was in that year was good. we learned about hyd transmissions electrical. the second year was suppose to be engine based but their were to teachers so one year you were in one class the next in the other. the first year the instructor had strcutor and knew what he was talking about the second year was dont blow your self up or get hurt other than that free rain of the shop. a lot of guys where just there to mess around and get out of their home school for a half day about 3 of the 15 of us where their to actually go into the field and use what we had learned i was one of those 3
Left university with a degree in engineering,couldnt stand the bs..... Apprenticed for 4 years and became ticketed,challeneged the millwright TQ and got that too.... 18 years nipples deep in mud,snow,logs and iron....still loving it
I'm certified from Gam Betty Tech ...
Engineering degree and started work for mother Deere. After 2 yrs of that went into a Deere dealership. These days I would not hire someone with out at least some tech school background........ otherwise you wont be able to read the electrical and hydraulic schematics. Repair of todays machines is less bull work and more about brain work.
There is no government control of heavy equipment mechanics at this time in he state of Washington or the United States that I know of. There are no certifications or minimum standards for any part of the trade except for welding in some circumstances. I understand that Canada requires a license. There has been talk of certifying mechanics on antilock brakes and possibly emissions controls in the future but so far as I've heard it is only just talk. Community college or special training through the military will make it easier to get started in the industry. If you don't have some kind of background you will have to start in a parallel part of the industry, say helper, oiler, steam cleaning, ditch digger and so on. The big thing is to let potential employers know what you want to do and show a willingness to go over and above to do it. Good Luck!
You don't really NEED certs, But I think they look good on the resume. Even if you only worked on HE, a few ASE's would help. Like the Engines and electrical. Actually if you are going to recover and handle any Air Conditioning refrigerant, you legally need to be certified by MACS. I assume this goes for off road as well as on.
Canada has the Red Seal program for trades. To be certified to work on heavy equipment you need at least 3 years (depending on the province) in an apprenticeship which combines work experiance with classroom technical training each year. When you write your Red Seal exam and pass you become qualified to work in any province as a Heavy Duty Mechanic.
Checked with repair shops in my area, and checked the union, they all require formal trainging prior to getting a job with them.
Hi Guys! Stumbeled on this today and joined. Great posts by members on the 1845c Hydrostat issues, obviously professional/experianced mechanics here. In response to your question, personally started in Ford dealer in 1977, off to trade school in Okmulgee, Oklahoma in 79. Certs are not necessary but help on your resume as someone previously posted. Nice thing is, trade school gets you in the door but good old school of hard knocks will take you far. Doesnt matter where you start, just keep at it. Most shops and dealerships will accept someone with minimal experiance and train you how they want. Deere will send you to training as you are gaining lots of experiance. Great schools in Oklahoma for basic knowledge and Beloit Ks. has a neat program as well. Good luck!
I have been working as a mechanic for 6 years, at the same company. No certs, some prior experience in automotive repair and willing to learn. Started as shop helper and now there only welder. Looking in to night school or online school for fluid power and diesel repair. I made it this far with only on the job experience. A good mechanic can teach allot in the shop if there willing.
In the case of American Independent, you're absolutely right about this John. Most of our mechanics here started as parts washers, moved to teardown (the proving grounds), and then got promoted to building. School shows they're serious, but it's the willingness to work and ability to learn that we're mostly interested in.
Be careful about the certifications you go for. A lot of them are pretty bogus. Especially when you get hooked in by some of the so called classes which claim they will guarantee you get certified. I have heard of some of these that claim to give the tests also. When I asked one of these operations who taught the classes the response was "a certified instructor." When I asked how you became a certified instructor the answer was "you take a test." Next question was do you have to be a journeyman to become an instructor. Answer was "no, just pass the test."
I'm new here and I'm planning on starting up my own service truck, my own bussiness. I recently moved to Idaho. There seems to be some room around where I live for a moble equipment service mech. My problem is coming up with hourly charge rate.
call around to anyone who does similar work, incuding dealerships. that should get you in the ballpark. i dont have any certs or much schoolin in the canic field. never needed it. some employers dont have a clue as to who they are hiring so they go by the paper you have in your hand. i have come across quite a few schooled canics and for the most part they shoild have stayed in school. this is an inherent skill that no amount of school can teach you. oh they can teach you the specs and tech end of it, but when it comes right down to the nitty gritty of gettin er done. you need to know what you are doing not doing what you know. of course certs do play a big part in getting the job. alot of places require it cause they need it or dont have a clue. i have missed out on some jobs cause i dont have any. im no spring chicken and have been considering gettin some paper to look good on my resume. bottom line is, get some cause iit can only help you. dont go spout off about how you got certs and schoolin cause guys like me will not teach you a thing if you do.
No papers on me. Got started on a big farm after the Fab shop laid me off after 5 years. He had a few big trucks, A d7G, D8K, 623 Scrapper and a Wabco scrapper, Excavator, etc. It was a very diversified farm, Hay, berries, christmas trees, and they were moving into the Nursery business putting in huge yards for plant containers. Most of that equipment was pretty well used. I worked there 2 years and averaged 65 hours a week, which included 3 weeks off a year. We rebuilt 4 diesel engines. Many hydraulic cylinders. Repaired the old Wabco scrapper after it sat for 2 years after going thru a flood. The owner would let us tear into any job. There wasn't any repairs done to any of that equipment that we didn't do, unless it required machine work or highly specialized tools. I learned a lot in that job. I spent a lot of time reading different repair manuals, calling older guys I knew that worked as mechanics. Everything around us follows the same laws of physics, once you get a concept down its amazing how often you can apply it to other colors of equipment. Now I have my own Equip repair business, 3 yrs and going strong.
Thank's Bobb. I agree. I come from being a ship mech./ MM in the Navy. I was on a Aircraft Carrier. We were big on maitenace. I have cert. in engineering/Steam plant.I like equipment.