Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3116 confusion

jragonese33 · 2020-04-30 21:37

Ok so ive been into plenty of 3126s and c 7s but not yet a 3116. Got one with fuel in the coolant so i figured I would pull the injectors and slap new sleeves in and be on my merry way. Then I started reading, more and more. And then started to get baffled. Do i really need to sync and seat the injectors if im not replacing them. Or should i just pass this job along because I dont have ANY of the tools?

Replies10
  1. #1petepilot2020-04-30 21:51

    if you have to waranty the job I`d do a lot more reading

  2. #2jragonese332020-04-30 21:56

    Yes i do. I didn't think it would be that involved to replace the sleeves. But then again I haven't been into one of these engines yet.

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-04-30 22:08

    It's a 3116, like the cops in the old movies would say, Nothing to see here folks just move along and forget about what you saw.

  4. #4jragonese332020-04-30 22:13

    Lol! Are they that much of a pain in the ass?!

  5. #5Nige2020-04-30 22:26

    Drop CMark a PM. He’s had lots of experience of these engines. Just be patient for a reply because he’s on the East Coast of Australia.

  6. #6jragonese332020-05-01 08:14

    Ok very good. Thanks i appreciate it

  7. #7Nige2020-05-01 11:52

    Forget that - I see he's replied already on the other 3116 thread you were posting on.

  8. #8Truck Shop2020-05-01 18:22

    Lets have multiple threads

  9. #9JD955SC2020-05-03 21:58

    Get somebody who knows the procedure well to do it. It takes special tooling and is slightly tedious I’ve only ever done it twice. We had 3116 engines as our “school” engines that had been pulled out of service. We tore them down, put them back together, and we were the first class to actually run them.

  10. #10.RC.2020-05-04 00:46

    The mind boggles why they went from simplicity in the 3306 to the 3116. The sooner we can all go electric motors and get rid of the silly complexity of modern diesels the better.