Picked up a 312E last summer, we are the second owner, in the last 6 months have gone through 6 fuel filters, due to loss of power, which seems excessive. Engine looses power and throws a low/high pressure code. We drained the fuel tank, and checked our storage tank for water. Also when changing filters, we loose an excessive amount of fuel, half a gallon on the floor each filter change, and this is following the manual and closing valve under the tank. Anyone have a valve to close I am missing or is this par for the course.
6 fuel filters? How many filters are in the system? Does yours have the 363-4364 inline filter? 384-8512? What serial number range? As for servicing the ecofriendly filters, Cat clearly has too many desk jockey engineers. On my 320ELRR, I had to cut the return line and install a ball valve in order to not drain the fuel tank during service. Or, according to Caterpillar, schedule all fuel servicing to occur when fuel tank is 1/5 full or less.
All I found for filters was a primary filter near the tank and a secondary above the batteries, it's difficult to get around under the hood with the new taller counterweights.
What about this one?
You're changing both the water separator and main filter, correct? You may have an in line filter that you've missed. If there is one, it will probably be in the pump house. Looks like a stainless steel cylinder about 3" long. When I'm changing these filters, I first drain the fuel into a plastic container. If fuel keeps on running even with the valve closed, I will pinch off the hoses to and from the filter. You can buy those special hose pinch pliers but I've got two long-nose vise grips with the teeth ground off and the corners rounded over.
What serial number is your machine?
Drove out to the machine and found the inline filter, with the tracks lined up with the machine pulled in the shop its dam near invisible. Will get one coming in the morning thanks guys.
Someone else on this forum posted a little trick he used that I wish I had thought of years ago. You know those 4 inch wide stainless steel exhaust clamps with the two 3/8 inch bolts. Next time you replace one save those half circle bars the bolts go through. Now you have a nice little tool to clamp off the fuel or heater hoses.