Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 120 starter question

wilko ยท 2018-03-05 17:58

First, a public service announcement. If you park your hoe so that it's easy to climb in and out it will make it a lot tougher to access the starter. I had to break my arm in two places to get at the lower bolt. I probably need a new starter. Looking online I can get a new Rareelectric unit from Amazon shipped for $270.00. This outfit gets no love from the BBB, but Amazon pretty much forces all their suppliers to make the customer happy. Or, for an extra 100 dollars I can get a Wilson rebuilt, which includes the core charge. Realistically, it wouldn't make sense to ship the core back. The Wilson is supposed to be quality material. Is anyone here familiar with them? Any third option?

Replies7
  1. #10072018-03-05 23:21

    As long as the Amazon one is a direct replacement you are generally better off with new over a rebuild. If your not in a hurry why not let auto elec look at your own as might be easy fix. Generally they usually only need bushes and brushes.

  2. #2Vetech632018-03-06 06:50

    3rd option- Find a quality rebuilder in your area and let them rebuild the entire starter motor.

  3. #3wilko2018-03-06 07:55

    I'm under the impression that parts for this starter are hard to come up with, I need to pull the back off to see what it looks like.

  4. #4wilko2018-03-06 22:52

    Looks like all that clean living paid off. Except for stuck brushes everything looks okayish. But those brushes are stuck real good, not sure how to get them loose without damaging them.

  5. #5Vetech632018-03-07 06:58

    If they are stuck now, they will stick again. Your better off in the long run to rebuild/replace the starter motor.

  6. #6gilraine2018-03-07 18:15

    we have used wilson starters a few times, no issues.

  7. #7wilko2018-03-08 07:19

    Vetech63, you ever watch Kelly's Heroes , where the mechanic gives a realistic assessment of a situation and Oddball always says "always with the negative waves, Moriarty."