Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

314clcr opinions?

icex ยท 2010-06-20 18:34

Found a 2005 314clcr with 1700 hours on it for $67k. I can't find much on them. I was going to get a 312 or 315 and stumbled on the 314clcr. Are they as good as a 312/315? Also, does the 05 model have the monitor and stuff in the cab on the window? Is this a decent deal on the machine? Thanks By the way, just a few dents, but the report checks out.

Replies3
  1. #1CM19952010-06-20 20:41

    What kind of work will the machine be doing? I haven't owned or ran a 314 but I have owned 2 315's and the 315 is a very good, dependable excavator. Put 4K hours a new '04 and never turned a bolt on it when it was traded in. I also had a 321, which uses the same cab as a 314. The cab on the ZT machines is cramped compared to a traditional C model. If the reduce tail swing is a requirement for the types of jobs you do, then the smaller cab is a trade-off you can get used to for the accessibility of the machine on the jobsite. It all boils down to what you plan to do with the machine. The price seems to be inline with the market right now for the hours and condition. Listing of 314's from Machinery Trader

  2. #2icex2010-06-20 21:16

    I'm a new guy starting out, have had a 304 for awhile but want to move up a bit. Planning to maybe do pond dredging (possibly), small demolition of houses, and land clearing. They have a 315 for $85k with 2000 hours or a 312with 800 hours for $75k. Also, have a question. Anyone know whats on the WV Excavation contractors test? I can't pony up $600 for the books for 50 questions. It has safety, grading, etc on it. I know most but not all. Thanks.

  3. #3DGODGR2010-06-22 01:32

    I have an '03 315CL with about 4,200 hours on it now. I have used the 314 (rented) with a hammer on it. I have also used rental 312's with and with out a hammer. Although I have not used the 314 to dig with, it felt to me (in most respects) just like the 312. I much prefer the 315. I know it is only 3 metric tons more (although mine weighs 39,900# as equipped), but it feels like a much larger machine. The smaller units have much more vibration and just feel "tiny" (like made with cheap tin-not like very small). The 314 will be an easier transition for you as it is similar to your 304 (has almost no tail swing, and will probably come with a backfill blade). I am not trying to belittle you but the $600 is chump change to what you will be spending after you get up and running. Don't let that stop you. Spend the money for the course and walk away with your license. It's just another cost of doing business.