Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

315 cat engine flutter

jook24 ยท 2016-04-01 10:10

Have 315 excavator the engine sounds like it has a miss on higher rpms put new injectors in dosn't sound as lumpy more of a fine miss now.fuel lines are good tho i replaced one changed fuel filter cleaned screens in injection pump starts and runs real nice but warm it up and go to work it starts to sound like it has a miss, it does affect the performance of the machine just annoying wondering if anybody has come across somthing like this.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2016-04-01 10:48

    Which filter did you change, the secondary..? Does it have a washable primary filter/screen/water trap and did you service that one as well..? Also when was the last time you drained the water & sediment from the fuel tank..?

  2. #2jook242016-04-01 10:55

    Cleaned water separator, it has one fuel filter, and tank I do spring and fall.I also have bypassed the computer and it still does it it only does it when I move the machine or use the the hydraulics checked real time no codes eather.

  3. #3John C.2016-04-01 23:29

    Need a serial number or at least the model series. A, B, C or D model? How many hours on the engine? What you are describing is common on the A and B model machines. I believe it is wear in the governor section of the fuel pump. Only fix I know is to pull the whole pump and send it into the injector shop. There is a expert on this forum at times. Maybe he can tell you something better. Good Luck

  4. #4Nige2016-04-02 04:48

    John makes a good point. Initially I was trying to establish that you'd done the basics of ensuring the complete fuel system right from the tank to the FIP was all in good order, clean, and well-maintained. There's no point going any further until that has been done. If all those boxes are already ticked then you need to be sending a PM to "thepumpguysc" in case he doesn't pitch in on this thread.

  5. #5jook242016-04-02 09:13

    Its an L model 13000hrs. 6ym02078 serial#