Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

315L Cat excavator running hot

Pete1468 ยท 2012-09-02 19:16

My 315L is running hot, it takes about 30-45 minutes in 90 degree weather and you have to let it cool off. I've washed the radiator out with a hose and nozzle but when it comes home I'm going to hit it with the pressure washer. It appears to be clean and water goes through the radiator with a garden hose easily. It doesn't have an air conditioner so that's not plugged. Is it a common problem for these or an unheard of one? If you aren't working it very hard it doesn't bother, but it seems that hardly ever happens.

Replies6
  1. #1PAcattech2012-09-02 20:43

    Unbolt the hydraulic oil cooler from the front of the radiator I'll bet you find build up of debris between them .

  2. #2kbeen2012-09-02 22:33

    i agree with PAcattech, we have had several machines with this problem. there is usally a foam seal at the top between the radiator and the hyd. cooler. if it is missing or partially missing it will suck debris down in between the two cores and casue a air flow problem. good luck.

  3. #3dirtdobber12012-09-03 06:22

    Pete, I had the same problem with a 312 BL. Unbolt the oil cooler so that you can get between it and the radiator. You need to spray the water at a right angle to the radiator. To do this in a tight space I took a piece of 1/2 copper pipe, hammered the end shut and sealed with solder, drilled a couple of small holes near the sealed end of the pipe (1/8 or so), clamped the pipe in the garden hose, and was able to maneuver this tool around to all corners of the radiator to wash it out. Careful with the pressure washer not to damage the cooling fins.

  4. #4Ace K2012-09-06 00:56

    Clean the radiator and oil cooler inside and out, I gave mine heavy duty cleaning and flushing then new coolant before replacing the thermostat because I knew the water pump for my machine was close to 800$! I had to buy that pump after all and it cured the problem but do the cheap stuff first. My machine only overheated after 30 - 45 min at full throttle in 90 degree heat.

  5. #5Big Iron2012-09-07 23:27

    clean both radiators as suggested and then replace all the foam seals between the oil and engine coolers and don't forget the foam seal going from the top of the radiator to the hood assembly without any of these you will lose airflow through the radiators. i also flushed the engine system on my 320 after this. it now runs well within the correct temp range at all outside temps. don't forget to give the water pump a squirt of grease i yours requires it.

  6. #6Pete14682012-09-08 16:16

    Thanks guys, now that I have it home and no jobs lined up I'll try and clean the radiator better.