I have a 2012 316EL which gives a ck engine light when above idle. Says Diesel particulate filter #1 Soot Loading sensor Abnormal Update rate. I pulled the antennas and the one closest to the inlet was covered with soot. I cleaned it. The antenna closest to the outlet was absolutely clean, as new. I checked connections, all good. No kinks in leads to module. I hate to replace the module at $1000 unless necessary. Any ideas for testing further? Help is appreciated Mike DZW00201
Do you have the actual Diagnostic Code, e.g. 2472-08 or whatever. Kudos for posting S/N......
Yes, code 3397-9 (The ECM detects no signal from the sensor) Soot level is at 24%, but if it can't read it, the ECM uses the last good reading. Machine has 4632 approx hours on it. First fault was at 4323 hrs and last at 4632. Fault occured 255 times. WCI=Level1 (whatever that means.) The sensor lines look new Pink with no sharp bends or kinks. I have tested the V and have 24v , 2.4V, and 2.9V, going to the square module at is connector. Both antennas show continuity thru them. Not sure where to test from here. Is it safe to test signal coming out of the antenna while inserted in the DPF? Dont want to short anything out. Also I havn't found the location of the ECM to test its connections yet. It must be behind the seat. I will look.
See the attached troubleshooting guides.
Well... ran a few tests, found the ECM attached to the side of the engine. No bad or loose connections. With proper V to the sensor, figured there was nothing left that could be bad. Replaced the DEF sensor module at a cost of $1000. and thankfully, we have no more fault code and in good shape. Thanks Nige for the input and troubleshooting guide.