Is it just a simple 3 wire to get one running out frame? Ecm + , Ign + and starter exciter?Of course tap the canbus for peripherals, 3176 from a challenger already removed from chassis. Thanks!
Engine S/No.? I would think that the absence of certain signals might possibly inhibit engine starting but that's just a hunch until I get a look at the electrical schematic. That same schematic would probably be of assistance to you also.
It would fire possibly but idle only if it did
I had a couple of them set up on run stands as training aids. Adem 2000 probably. How many pins? 40? It’s fairly straightforward. Just follow the wiring diagram. I would at least connect a TPS and the diagnostic connector so you can monitor vitals and rev em’ up. Do you have an ECAP? What a blast from the past. Good luck.
It was just a random call I got from a guy whom had someone start a injector swap job and flake out, just wanted to get feasibility of taking the engine to my shop and being able to test run it, I can follow up with esn if I choose to take this on. I do not have ecap. I have do have a spare j1939 plug and ET i could utilize. The tps I can manage if the ecm isn’t picky and will take input from a paccar pedal or something
If it came out of a Challenger it might well not have J1939 communication available on it, rather CDL because it is a machine engine as opposed to an on-highway engine. You'd need the ET cable for wired for CDL, some didn't have that. Again engine S/N would lead to electrical schematic which would tell the story. EDIT: To further muddy the waters if the transmission or monitor system (or both) on the machine it came out of were communicating on the same CDL then there is the possibility the engine would not play if there was no communication with the other ECMs. All speculation of course.
Guess the days of hooking an engine to a water tank made out of an old oil drum and stocking a couple hoses in to a bucket of fuel and hooking up a 4D battery to start up an engine for initial test run is long gone!
yes, this could very well be the case. I’ve never really been a off road guy. This is likely 24v and going to give me a head ache haha. i do have a cat communication adapter 3 with all the plugs so maybe not a total loss cause if my nexiq wont do it
Heh heh yeah, would be slightly annoying to get it all hooked up to find out it needs to come out again.
ESN : 43Z01900
You are correct in your asumption of 24v electrics. We were both wrong - the Communication Datalink on the engine ECM is ATA. The TPS input to the engine ECM appears to be of the PWM variety but I would stand corrected on that. There is no powertrain ECM and the Monitor System is not an ECM. So failure to communicate between ECMs should not be a problem that will impede engine starting. Keep an eye on your messages. I'll send you some stuff.
Watch your mouth!
We have a couple old Deutz air cooled generators. Just need battery, cables, fuel line and return.
Deutz are fun!, did a jug,rings and head on a 913 6 lung in the fall. Virtually indestructible top end it seems. 1 head got molten as the loader man continued to floor it underload with no fan belt. the machine still drove home once it had a fan belt back, piston was reused, new rings and jug kit.
Yeah, J1587. I liked the 3176. They were a weird engine with the mid mount liners and stuff. Product support is difficult these days. Pre- ET and ECAP isn’t supported anymore. Most Cat dealer techs of today, have no experience with them. Somethings you can’t do on them without ECAP like cam sensor calibration. Just an odd duck in 2023.
Should I be trying to sway this guy into retrofitting a 8.3 cummins or something of the likes? I reached out to a few fellas and I don't think ECAP is going to be obtainable for now. Another big question mark for me is should I be rolling bearings into this? His original issue was a hard miss and fuel diluting the oil pan.
You can hook ET up to it with ATA. Simply go into your ET settings tab and select “ATA Datalink” from the available options. From the schematic you can see which two pins the ATA uses to connect and if necessary reconfigure your cable to suit. I don’t think you will need to do that TBH. Regarding your bearing question. What does the customer want.? A repair to fix the original symptoms or something more than that.?
A fuel dilution complaint might warrant new injector o-rings, or a set of new injectors. The Challenger was a decent machine for its time. Long Machinery sold a bunch of them on the Palouse. I would certainly put up with a few quirks from a 3176 vs a repower. The A models had a 3306. They were even used on the slope until the Case quad tracks replaced them. Odd seeing monster ag tractors in Alaska.
I will look into ET’s ATA setting, He basically wants what everyone does. Maximum service life with minimal down time, He’s stated do what I think will be beneficial for keeping this in top shape. The reason he had the engine pulled out was so it has a full refreshing w/ 5gal tune up. Maybe for ***** and giggles I pull a couple caps off and see if its in need.
Yes upon having a scope of work meeting he dropped a set of reman injector’s and the cat bible he has for the machine. He uses this to pull sled trains into a remote township in northern yukon.
I think I would in your position. It would only cost an oil pan gasket and would also let you take a look inside the oil pump at the same time. While you're at it I'd suggest to take a good look at the condition of the various valves, seats, springs, etc, in the engine oil filter base. Is the base steel or aluminium would be my first question.
He's got more than most owners then .......... Whether he knows how to use it is another discussion entirely.