Hi folks and happy new year! Got a question for my D8k It seems to me that the right brake has been sticking. It’s usually in the morning after running the dozer for less than an hour. Everything will be moving fine and then the brake will stick, that area gets a lot hotter than the left side, i have to give it a lot of throttle and it will move very slowly forward and reverse. And if I pull the right clutch the left has no problem moving at all. After I get out and look at everything and let it sit for about 15 minutes and try to figure things out it will work fine for the rest of the day. Any thoughts on potential problems?What would my first steps be to start diagnosing? Thanks in advance! And as always I greatly appreciate all of you and your immense knowledge!
I'm not the guy to help with your problem but a serial# for the machine is likely going to be needed to get help from the guru's on the forum, with that and maybe a little additional info on your problem you'll likely get the answers you are looking for.
The problem can most likely be sheeted home to the following; 1. The brake pedal linkage is binding on the cross shaft that it pivots on. This is a common problem with a lot of older Cats. Cat use needle roller bearings in the linkage levers where they run on the cross shaft. The seals wear out on the needle rollers, and dirt and dust gets in, and the needle rollers start to jam up. The cure is to remove the linkages, find the rough needle roller linkage pivot, and replace the needle roller. Most times, the cross shaft also has indentations from vibration of the needle rollers on the shaft, and the shaft has to be replaced, or the worn area built up and machined down to correct dimensions. 2. The brake adjustment is incorrect. At the rear of the steering clutch covers there's a small triangular cover. Remove this cover and you will sight the adjuster bolt. Tighten the adjuster right up, then back it off one-and-a-half turns for correct adjustment. Too tight an adjustment will see the brakes work O.K. for a while, then they heat up, and start to bind. 3. The transmission oil is low and you're working on steep side slopes. When this occurs, the oil level in the steering clutch on the high side, falls to too low a level, and the steering clutch starts to overheat - and the brake binds accordingly. Making sure the transmission oil is at the correct level is important.
Thanks for the reply’s guys, serial number is 77v1557 I will check the linkages for that potential. I will also check the adjustment, this could be an issue, I don’t use the right brake and since I have bought it the right brake does have some issues it seems, it engages at the top of the pedal and is pretty sticky to begin with but only recently started locking up without even pressing it As far as slopes go the first time was in complete flat zone, the next was coming up a hilly road but not sideways, and the next was in pretty flat area for the most part. Trans oil is filled up a bit past the full mark as was recommended to avoid a wild ride backwards.
I bet your parking brake ratchet is broke. Bad Bob
I know a mechanic there who is very knowledgable on those machines. PM me if you want an name and phone number. He lives in Hilo.
sounds like you are adjusted to tight if it only sticks after run for a wile
thanks I am going to dive into it this week and check the adjustment as well as the parking brake ratchet and brake linkages. I’ll let you guys know what I find out