Hey Guy's I got a 320DL the serial number is KGF03325 wont start my mechanic looked at it but he couldn't fix it coz he is more into cranes so I called two different mechanics from the local market but they couldn't and also electricians couldn't find the defected part finally i raised it to the CAT Dealer they changed two sensors n the diesel pump plus the engine computer but it wont start these r the parts names and numbers pump gp-fule 3264635 N sensor gp-pr 2380118 ********* 2863683 control gp- 3317539 has any one have any idea or suggestions thanx best regards
Change the complete pump, it is a very common problem. they wear down inside so that they can't build any pressure. God knows how many changes there's been on these pumps and I'm surprised the dealer isn't aware of this? A reman pump from the beginning would have been cheaper than sensors and an ecm. It is quite tricky to remove and install but it can be done......however sometimes you just want to take a big sledgehammer and beat the crap out of it and the oilcooler.............
up date thanx for replying they've changed the whole pump but nothing happened they sent a different mechanic and he found out the there is no pressure from the fuel and the oil pumps I think there is no problems with the pumps coz they've changed the fuel pump and still no pressure so I think my pumps are fine thanx guys
They should have done a injector leak off test which they may have done thats why they replaced the pump. but it sounds like and injector problem . also may be the common rail fuel pressure relief . Id talk to dealer make sure they did the injector leak of test . ive had to replace several sets of injectors in machines that wont start . if leak test fails the injectors will have to be replaced as will the injection lines . as they are not to be reused do to the extremly high fuel pressure .
oooops looks like we were typing at they same time saudi
hey PActtech I will talk to them tomorrow n I ll make sure that they do the " injector leak off test " but can u explain what does it mean thanx
hey they did it but there was no fuel to test that's why they've changed the fuel pump waiting for u guys thanx
Is there fuel now after the pump change or still no flow?
no there is no fuel
if there is no fuel why dont you look back from the pump to the tank and make sure there is no obstructions, valves turned off, clogged filters ect. if you arent getting fuel to the pump then the injectors, common rail and anything else past the new pump dont really matter. also look into the tank and see if the screen is plugged or if you have fuel, id hate to think you over looked an empty tank but it happens. also does it have a fuel relay or a solenoid that isnt moving not allowing the fuel to flow? when you turn the ignition to on do you hear a click like the fuel solenoid opening?
thanx for replying I'm sorry there is no pressure from the oil pump nor the fuel pump but there is fuel all the way to the pump
When the pump was changed, was it timed correctly, if that's wrong it'll be dead. I've noticed that it only throws a code if it is just a few teeth out of sync but if it is off alot it won't throw a code, looked at one that they had installed with no1 in BDC and that gave no codes and didn't start.
yeah it was coz they installed it twice the first time it wasn't thanx for replying
check the flywheel sensor
hey ram its also fine now I'm thinking of siting it on fire as its insured :tong thanx guys n waiting for an other hit
well that cat has got to be killing you sitting around parked. i know you are probably in a hard to reach space. call the dealer....a specialist.. anyone. you may have to pay dearly but a brand new machine down with work to do is losing money. good luck regards,cd
Saw a similar situation on a 325 and it turned out to be a safety shutoff on the left side of the seat at the bottom,someone had accidentially tripped it.
well its not the safety switch n the goddamn dealer is on it I will take it to his workshop its gonna cost a lot coz I have to load it with a crane but they said they will give it a last shot fuel injectors might be it n u ppl will be up to date as soon as I know any thing coz its in a different area about a thousand mile far best regards
I know its simple, and often over looked, but has anyone checked for algee build up in the fuel system? Sorry for all of your troubles.
hey ddigger what is that so I can ask about it
What was the rail pressure during cranking? was it at zero or very low? It sound like you still have a pump problem and it is no fun to change!
hey cat mech ZERO n already changed bunt nothing happened have u read all the replies so u get the whole pic thanx
It is pretty much just as it sounds allgee forms in the fuel system clogging the primary filter screen, which sadly is often overlooked and then also clogs all the spin on filters beyond that point, just pouring the filters out accross your hand you probably wouldnt be able to see it. Also a friend of mine had the same issue as you, and also addresed all the symtoms, as it turned out that when they had cleaned the primary filter screen the O ring had dropped out unnoticed, it didnt leak, but sucked air, such a simple thing that no one thought to retrace a few basic steps. When they did dicover it problem solved. But remember in my long winded answer his orignal problem was the allgee.Oversight created the lingering issue. Best of luck.
Tell them to change the common rail fuel pressure relief valve if they havent and if that does not fix it as said before replace the injectors . I find it unbelievable that this problem has not been fixed yet . totally unexecptable .
hey Ddigger they've checked all the filters but they seem fine and I didn't get what does ALLGEE means hey PAC already checked and its fine now they are changing the injectors n they have said that they will leave the new fuel pump on it but I refused N asked them to install my old pump coz I think its fine and then replace the injectors if it doesn't work then the replace the fuel pump too. thnx guys
He's referring to algae. These are living micro-organisms that can exist (and feed on) diesel fuel. I've heard them referred to as "Hum-bugs" before. When they reproduce they create a gelatine-like material that plugs fuel filters and contaminates fuel tanks. However I don't see that algae could cause your probelm, generally the sysmptom is that after a filter chanige the engine runs fine for a while then the filters plug and the engine loses power. Changing the filters again fixes the problem, albeit temporarily. The long-term fix is use of a bactericide in the tank and lines to kill the bugs. I don't see this as your issue, you have no fuel rail pressure, period.
thanx nige
it is cranking finally but after changing the fuel pump & the injectors is it common to change both of them?? BUT there is smoke & the sound of the engine will change ( wont remain loud ) when u start to work or travel even if the accelerator on (10) the max power
Any codes?
Just twigged that we had something very similar on a C6.6 engine in a 938H. Our friend's 325 has a C6.4 but they are very similar. Ours just got harder and harder to start until it came one day that it wouldn't start at all. ET was measuring low/no rail pressure. Replace rail pressure relief valve. Maybe a bit of improvement but not much. Replace injectors - noticeable improvement but the engine was still not 100%. Replace pump - back to normal.
The 6.4 will change rpm slightly to get the best fuel economy for what you are doing at the time. I am glad you got it running but it sounds like you have a mechanic throwing parts at it. I have done a fuel pump and injectors before but not at the same time. You may have just had the fuel pump solenoid sticking and not building pressure. Unfortunately you can't just replace the solenoid, you have to replace the pump. I am still concerned that you replaced the pump and still got nothing. Let us know how it is running.
just had this problem on a 938 g loader 3126 b engine found injector seals blown ( top seal) allowing injector oil pressure to drop off,causing hard or no starting. resealed injectors all good . may have been why engine run after injector change. hope this helps regards excat
To Excat, Totally different fuel system on these engines.
SO sorry for the late reply I was busy with it that week It was 1000 something kilometers away from my yard in the dealer yard in that area. the updates are: they tuned it changed all the fluids and filters and all the consumables parts!!!!!! ( what the bad mechanics will do to solve any problem) costed me tons of money!!! fought with the dealer and i sent my lowbed to get the excavator back after i withdraw from a contract with a client in that area! put it in show room looking for a buyer for it since i hated the excavation business due to many reasons not related to the machinery. got a contract pulled it out finishes it returned it back to the showroom! (the contract paid me back all the losses!) SOLD IT! all of that happened in two months! since then I am all in cranes (which got me in the business in the first place!)