Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3204 governor shaft seal replacement.

1RJ01373 ยท 2025-03-22 00:08

Hi guys. I've decided to try and re-equip my d4c with a decelerator, after taking off the lever I notice this small leak from the seal. Can I dig this seal out and replace it without taking anything apart?

Replies7
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-03-23 11:13

    Simple answer is Yes.. BUT you might find it difficult because it has a metal casing around the rubber seal.. Just be careful NOT TO gouge the gov housing OR the shaft..

  2. #2LCA0782025-03-23 16:27

    I gotta ask: Is this a seep or a leak? If it's simply a seep that just makes a dusty wet spot, I would be very hesitant of trying to fix it. If it's leaking as an active drip when running and posing as a fire hazard, then yes I'd try to fix it. But lots of gray area in between those situations...

  3. #31RJ013732025-03-24 05:21

    It's a seep, like a little wet so it collects dust. Yeah enough said, I'm gonna leave it. Knowing me I'll do $500 damage fixing a $5 part.

  4. #4LCA0782025-03-24 06:18

    I think that's the right choice...especially when @thepumpguysc answers your 'can it be fixed' question with a big 'yes BUT!' I'm like you and would cause more damage than repair for most issues like this. Just monitor it and make a decision if it worsens to point of it being a safety issue. And good luck on installing the decelerator. We'd enjoy seeing pics of how you're doing it and how it turns out.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-03-26 02:09

    I might try taking something really thin like maybe a piece of an old credit card and use it to clean between the shaft and the seal. Need to be really careful not to damage the seal. They make a tool called Seal Mate for cleaning fork seals on motorcycles. It cleans miniscule dirt in the seal to prevent oil weeping. You could make a miniature version. The 3204 in my 931B is different and the governor cover comes off easily. On mine the seal can be pushed in a little and there's enough of a lip a second seal can be installed. Would have to look at a parts diagram but maybe your seal could be pushed in slightly and/or there's enough of a lip sticking out past the seal that it could grip a second seal.

  6. #61RJ013732025-03-26 18:09

    Great idea,I should have thought of that. I've fixed many fork seals this way, just cut up a water bottle to make a curved plastic blade. This machine has been through so much there's probably already 3 seals pushed in there on top of one another,haha

  7. #7LCA0782025-03-27 12:30

    It's amazing how many tips and tricks I learn from HEF members.