It’s been a long expensive road with this machine. Most recently I Replaced a partial solidified dpf which i assume occured during many hrs of use and abuse as a rental machine while suffering along with a contaminated fuel system and I just replaced exhaust piping with hole in flex-tubing.Im getting a Doc system failure code 5018.0 and an egr valve short to ground 2791.6 which comes and goes also a 3251.7 dpf presssure error that will come and go. The on board exhaust temperature readings seems to be correct when compared to my thermal imaging gun reading 977°F which is as high as ive been able to get the exhaust to go. I believe I’m looking for 1650°F. I was pretty confident I’d solve my problem codes when I replaced the dpf and the leaking tubing but they remain. Vin number in attachment
5018.00 is actually Calculated Unintended Combustibles in the DOC very High. It gets that from seeing a temperature difference across the DOC it does not command. The first step is to have diagnostic software to check the temperature sensor readings after unit sat overnight. If the readings are the same, then you most likely have an engine issue.
Thank you for your prompt response and my apologies for my delayed reply. The first step is a tough one for me because of the cost involved doesn’t justify the the action suggested. For me to quire the diagnostic software my research shows it would cost me upwards of $3,600.00 or if I have JD come out I’m out $1,200.00. My other possible option would be to play parts replacer and purchase the dpf differential temp sensor from JD for just under $500.00. If code persist would that tell me I need to look for an engine issue rather than the dpf? I don’t mean to come off as a cheapskate but the reality is that the investment I made in restoring the fuel system to recover the tractors performance has cost me more than I was prepared for. I can easily recover my money if I can work the tractor but I do not have the resources to dump another grand in to test a sensor. I can spare $500.00. As I was contemplating my options and writing this reply I was idling the tractor to build my batteries up. The engine idled up and the dashboard screen reported dpf filter soot level high requires cleaning. So I with great excitement and hope set out to initiate a parked cleaning. Everything looked good and it idled up and the screen read preparing for parked cleaning and the countdown progress block appeared on screen with a 0 next to it. But it never increased from zero. I manually stopped the process and it read soot level low. Let idle for a bit it returned to soot level high I tried again same result. Checking my active code list I find the attached new code and prior intermittent egr code. The filter I used to replace my solitified dpf was used. I can’t say that it was necessarily cleaned but it sure looked good! lol. Perhaps need to take it to be cleaned. I don’t know if any of this changes your suggestion or not but I’d appreciate your feedback on this new information if at all possible.
Unfortunately, when you have 3719 codes, that requires dealer intervention. The root cause still will need to be figured out, but the dealer will be needed to get the 3719 code out of the system.
Still at it… I’ve gotten all codes cleared. I believe you were meaning to ref the 5018 code as the one requiring intervention by dealer. I was able to clear all codes but 5018. Also I got lucky and Equipment share owed me a favor so their tech hooked up to me and all was cleared except we had a Dpf pressure sensor code which I replaced the sensor and solved. Now it is claiming it needs a parked cleaning not service cleaning and soot level very high. While attempting to do just that I notice I began making oil. The engine stumbles and shakes more than I remember I’m guessing I have a misfire and that’s whrrre the 5018 originated. Can’t seem to get through the cleaning process It goes 100% through preparing and then only gains 2-3 on the cleaning. Also im hearing a thwack I’m hearing it ever so often sorry I’m trying to discribethis so you undetstand my noise it’s a loud sharp tick maybe better describes it. It’s not steady or constant it seems to come and go Not sure how to proceed from here any suggestions? Questions?
Unfortunately, if the 5018 code is active it will not complete a regen, parked or otherwise. Did the individual who plugged in look at the aftertreatment system temperatures when the unit was cold? Is the tick coming from the top of the engine?