I recently purchased a 613b cat scraper which has sitting for years. Its got that ol 3208 and doesn't have but a few hundred hrs on it but it has sit without being started for 10 to 15 yrs. I drained the old yellow looking fuel put in fresh and purged the air, cracked the lines at the pump and spun it over. The purge pump appears to b getting enough fuel to the pump and when loosened it is under pressure at the pump. The shutoff selenoid is working by pulling the plunger up. I did pull the top off the pump and nothing is rusted and the fuel is clean inside of it. I unscrewed the spin on fuel filter poured it out which looked clean but **** yellow. I rinsed it with clean fuel and put it back on. I'm gonna put new on but just preliminary and didn't look dirty at all. Its hitting on a couple cylinders but wont start. I loosened all the injection lines at the pump and spun it over and it appears to be pumping fuel thru only 3 or 4 lines. Being the engine sit for years I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to check or free up to get it running. I don't have a clue when it comes to injection pumps. Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated.
When you're purging the injector lines are you doing it with the throttle like halfway open? I think it helps as opposed to idle position.
If you had the top off the pump, you saw 8 springs.. those are the pumping plunger return springs.. The cam shaft spins, pushing the plungers up to pump and the springs pull them back down.. ready for the next cycle.. I think if you look closely.. you'll see acouple of them stuck up, in the pumping position.. I DONT recommend taking the nuts off the top.. besides needing a special socket, theres orings and small springs in there.. Besides trying to soak the guts in some sort of penetrating solution, it looks like a pump rebuild is in your future.. You might get lucky and find someone in your area that has the socket and be willing to fix it ON the engine..
Okay preciate the info. I was wondering if I could take the lines and top off the pump and slowly turn engine over knowing when the lobe is off each stuck plunger and blowing back thru, where the lines screw in, with compressed air would free the stuck plungers and would that cause any damage.
Hopefully thepumpguy will correct me when I'm wrong. You won't hurt it with compressed air, but I don't think compressed air will do anything. You'll have to take off more than the lines to access the plungers and that's what TPG warned against. If you take it all apart you can use a brass punch to tap the plungers back down, but think about the volume of the plungers, air isn't going to do anything to them. I've used acetone in the diesel to soften up diesel gunk, helps starting too I think. I'd be tempted to tap away on the injection pump with a screwdriver handle, air chisel, concrete vibrator etc. (only half joking). Loosen the lines at the injectors, not at the pump, unless I'm missing something?
Did you check to see if the shutoff lever is moving correctly? It's under the shutoff solenoid, you can access it with the cover off. I've seen where they get stuck when sitting for awhile.
I don't think that's the issue. According to the OP "it's hitting on a couple of cylinders but won't start". That would seem to indicate a number of stuck plungers but not all of them.
Delmer is correct.. its not gonna hurt anything but probably wont do anything either,, I would fill the body up w/ transmission fluid or acetone and let it sit for a day or 3.. REMEMBER to remove the return line from the pump before spinning it again.. if the cover is on.. you don't want that concoction going back to the fuel tank.. Good luck..
Okay men I sho appreciate that info and tips. I'll see what I can do and keep yell posted. Thanks again.
Thanks for the follow up.. and REMEMBER.. cats exchange pump requires a cr. crd.. for a reason.. It looks good up-front but hurts BAD.. REAL BAD about a month later..