Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 Reverser

crpohio ยท 2016-03-30 22:16

I recently purchased a straight 410 backhoe. Reverse was weak. Split the machine and found the reverse brake housing had broken. Also found the clutch input shaft was worn badly. I'm going to replace the wet clutches and ALL seals and orings while its apart. New dry clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Has anyone reassembled a 410 reverser? And tricks I should know about? Is there anything else i should service while I'm doing this?

Replies2
  1. #1lantraxco2016-03-30 23:12

    If you're that far into it, maybe after you marry the two halves back together, pull one axle housing at a time and do the outer bearings and especially the brakes. New piston seals and replace the brake lining. Cheap insurance. If the lining wears completely out you get hard steel on basically nodular cast iron, it's soft enough it doesn't sound that bad, but it will fill every transmission and hydraulic line and component with silver grey metal and everything stops. Oh, and the outer axle bearings should have a grease zerk back behind the drive wheel, most people don't know and never grease it, until the bearing falls out, which is why I say check them and at least replace the grease seals, if not the bearings.

  2. #2crpohio2016-04-04 19:21

    Thanks for the reply! I'm going to do the brakes very soon. And I'm going to check those zerks. The brakes work really well, so I'm going to wrap up this issue and put her to work for a while. It lives on a farm, so it won't get full time hours. Before I change the hydro fluid again I'll do the brake discs and seals. The reverser is reassembled. It was actually pretty straight forward. I was able to test clutch lock up with air. Both packs engage. It's not back together yet, but I'm pretty happy and optimistic. It sucked to split a backhoe one week after purchase. Live and learn......