I have an 89 GMC TopKick with a 3208 cat with a 5-speed transmission. Was modified from a box truck to a toter with a sleeper. When they cut the frame they took the two speed rear end out. Should I simply replace the two speed rear end or consider changing to something like a 13 speed. Needs a new clutch. So transmission has to come out anyway. I just don't know what's available that will bolt straight up? I tow primarily a flatbed for a skid steer and trackhoe. And 32 ft Plus campers Multistate toes. Five just isn't enough. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Holy cow! She was made to haul and She tows it all! Definitely needs a 13 speed.
Five isn't enough how? do you need more down low? more overdrive? or more HP and RPM all the way through? As far as I know, the five is a granny low and direct fifth. The two speed ratios were 4.88 and 6.something. I'd guess you have a lower numeric ratio than 4.88 now to get a little more speed on the highway, and you have to use granny more than you'd like? I don't think I'd want to go back to the two speed ratios, but I don't think I'd go for more trans either, how about a new engine while you're at it?
I’d drive that rig anywhere. No matter how many gears it has. One of these days, the judge will give me my license back.
I know it sounds like you probably like that truck, but from a dollars and cents perspective, its best days are behind it. I would scrounge a good working 2 speed axle from a junkyard somewhere, they can't be very hard to find these days. Then let the truck earn and save pennies for the inevitable replacement down the road sometime.
My goodness. We all know that. Don’t mention it out loud: Don’t shatter his hopes and dreams. Let Tinker maintain his youthful innocence, just a little longer. Even though, 1989 wants that 3208 back. I graduated in 1989 from community college with the same hopes and aspirations. Let’s not spoil it.
Takes off fine. Good to about 60mph. Will do 72mph on the open road with governor holding her back. Just need a few in between to help keep speed up in the hills. 5th is to hi and 4th to low. Thats why it had a 2 speed rear from the factory.
Im old school. Love shifting gears and a good CB. Cant drive heavy anymore because of health. But me and "Big Red" have a lot if fun.
Yup. Shes not an earner. Im retired. Just cant give the road up. Only has 215k miles on it. Turns a lot of heads lol. Ill be dead long before ol Red is. Kind of what i was thinking. Just put her back factory. Im not smarter than the engineers that designed it. Have the original build sheet. So i know exactly what rear to look for. Maybe ill take advantage of rear being out and put air on the rear. Shes a little harsh on the rough stuff lol. Thanks.
I know she ain't worth nothing. But ol girls got a lot of heart. Only has little over 200k on the clock. Turns a lot of heads too lol. Just a toy not an earner. Its actually my daily. Grocery store and all. Im retired. Just cant give up the road. Ill hook her to anything thats safe and mostly legal.
What is the final ratio now? A RTO 6610 1st would be around 9.00 and OD of .80 RTO 6613 1st 14.00 and OD of .80.
How easy is it to come by a 2spd rear end with highway gears? I’m sure they are out there but I feel like most are geared pretty deep. I’ve got three medium duties and two are around 6.50/8.50 and the other is 6.65/8.85 I believe. Might be easier to find a transmission that’d suit your needs.
Parts for the old two speed rears can be really hard to come by as well. Some of those old Spicers the driver and driven for 4th can be swapped for an overdrive, but doesn't sound like it could handle the jump from 3 to 5.
I've had 3208's with small box 6613, and 9513 big box. Just have to find a small bellhousing, and I'd imagine those are getting scarce. Its probably not even going to be easy to find a 6613 anymore. I think mine were both push clutch. Willie B did a bunch of work to a topkick like yours, his hood had all broken up under the headlights. I think his is 3208 also.
OK, that is a different story. I thought you were earning money with it. In that case I might look for a 13 speed also. Better to drive. Don't count out a 9 or 10 speed either. Anything that has twice the gears is going to be better than the 5. It will come down to whatever you can find for the right money.
Put a brownie behind it.
Welcome to the Forums TF! Glad to have you. I think you'll fit in here just fine..
He’ll fit in just fine. Ol’e Tinker will haul your ****. But, if you B$tch, he’ll unhitch. I’ll be watching for Big Red out on the road. We’ll be able to smell that 3208 from a mile away, rolling coal with a flame out the stack.
There's more RTO6613's out there than one thinks. I wouldn't put a 9513 behind it, better buy stock in ear plugs if you go the Howler Monkey route, 9513's were howlers even new. * Eaton/Fuller RT6613 (Stock #P-2355) STOCK:2458-04302013, 1991 USED RT6613 EATON-FULLER 13 SPD TRANSMISSION,1.991, COMPLETE, INSPECTED INSIDE WITH GOOD GEARS, ALSO REMANUFACTURED TRANS IN STOCK. - FOR PRICE AND SHIPPING CONTACT US AT -*** 4 - T R U C K S . C O M -OR- F O U R T R U C K S . C O M ***- AND CHECK OUR FULL INVENTORY. truckpartsinventory.com * Expect to pay $3,800 for a reman plus a $1,500 core. Used inspected takeout $2,000 to $2,500.
Howler Monkey That’s funny and true
Put a 4 speed behind it Drivelines should only cost you like 2k
So run 2 sticks?...could be fun.
Main & Auxiliary? Add a shift tower, linkage, which is a bit-h to get set up right with cab, cut a hole in the floor, then if not set at correct angle with that short wheel base {vibrate}. Sticks is a last ditch effort.
Don’t hang up your hat, just yet. Just lost a line-haul driver. We are severely short tanker yankers. I need a feller that’s trained to drive through An icy land. A hard-worker. Who can steer with just one hand! A fella who can pull by night and day. Pulling tanks the Alaskan way!
Only one?
Used to drive a old Ford tandem dump truck with a 5x4 and a 3208 cat. Wed load it up to like 60k and it was a lot of work driving that thing that heavy. Grabbing two gears at the same time loaded is fun.
So run 2 sticks?...could be fun Done pulled my time in the great icy North. Was thinking about going back to Long Haul. But June 12th is this year a tractor pulled out in front of my motorcycle. Broke both my arms in multiple places. That's why I'm fixing old red now. Going to be a minute before I can drive it again. So when I'm ready she'll be ready.
A lot of elbows and ******** flying around in that cabin LOL I remember watching dad drive a two stick. Wasn't sure whether he was driving a truck or rowing a boat. One thing was for sure it was a lot of fun. I go mad when I have to drive an automatic. I need something to do to keep me awake.
That’s a bummer about the wreck. Damn. Hope you mend up fast.
Everyone is short. The fleets just swap drivers by offering a few bucks more. There will be lots of opportunity to make killer money when the heavy haul season arrives in a few months
Most are short, why clutch/clutch brake need adjusting. * Only need a three speed if went that route, mostly direct and over.
Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome here. I'll keep you updated on what I do with it. You guys be safe out there. My family appreciates everything you guys do.
Nice.
I just happen to have a 6 spd fuller out of an 88 topkick ex coca cola hauler
You could also put a 4 speed Allison in it. There are hundreds of old fire trucks getting scrapped that have a MT643 behind a 3208 with nothing wrong with them. Get a spare parts engine as part of the deal.
Wouldn't the top gears be the same?
Your correct 4th is 100.1-dierect.
Yes, but I thought this thread was more about a 5 speed stick not being enough and not about top end speed. An automatic works differently, the converter takes care of most what would be the low side in a 9/13 speed and the lockup gears are spaced pretty close so a 4 speed keeps the engine where it needs to be most of the time if geared properly.
That would be a gas engine though right? Will it bolt up to a cat?
An 88 TopKick is likely a Cat 3116 diesel. They had a six speed with probably the same bell housing size. 3116 ran about 2650 rpm wide open I think.
Eaton 6306.
Is that like a 4 speed with a low and an OD? Or just a synchronized 6 and a reverse? Looking forward to getting it done. 4 more weeks and the Dr is supposed to release me for work. Getting over breaking both arms is kicking my butt. Ready to be jamming gears again.
Most all are direct in 6th 100.1, for overdrive models at .78 FSO 6406A. Ratios below. Eaton Fuller 6 Speed Transmission Ratios - Global Transmission Supply Eaton Fuller 6 Speed Transmission Ratio data table including trasnmission ratios, weights, length and PTO speed. Call 877-776-4600 for assistance. www.globaltransmissionsupply.com
Yes it would bolt up it had a 3208 turbo in front 1 3/4 input shaft
Be nice if new the model, that pop truck it was in probably had a single reduction drive axle.
I'm going to post some numbers
Here are id's
It's a 6106a pics are not clear
Had a 23.000 eaton single on 22.5 rubber was a tractor
Instead of a 13 speed box, what about a 9 speed OD box? They work well behind the 3208.
Ill have to get someone to get the spec sheet out of the cab. I cant even open the doors at the moment with both arms broken.
A Tanker-Yanking-Poet . . .
how's it going Crane Operator? someone is willing to donate an older 6 speed in good working order. do you know whether an eaton fuller T-1056 would bolt up to 3208? Thank you !