Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump tailgate hinge bent

homestead463 · 2023-07-21 20:49

I bought it like this. I didn't think it would be a big deal to heat it with a torch and bend it back but even with it glowing red and a big pipe wrench and 5 ft cheater pipe I can't get it to budge. It's 1 inch plate by the way. Any advice from you smart fellas?

Replies12
  1. #1_Weldman_2023-07-21 21:55

    MORE HEAT!!! Nice rosebud tip at full blast will move it.

  2. #2homestead4632023-07-21 22:31

    haha I just noticed the title and its too late to fix. sorry guys was typing on my phone. Obviously taulgstr = tailgate​

  3. #3Camshawn2023-07-21 22:34

    I’ve never done that…….

  4. #4CM19952023-07-21 22:34

    It's not to late for a fix. I can't type for **** on my phone either.

  5. #5homestead4632023-07-21 23:12

    Thank you!

  6. #6willie592023-07-21 23:27

    1" steel, glowing red ain't gonna be hot enough to bend, you're going to have to heat it until it's bright orange/yellow before it says "I give". That plate of steel is going to require a good bit of heat from a rosebud head to heat enough to bend.

  7. #7_Weldman_2023-07-21 23:29

    Want to make damn sure it bends, heat it till a magnet won't stick it to, but better get ready to quench it with oil or something.

  8. #8terex herder2023-07-21 23:34

    Get the fellow who bumped it with the track hoe bucket to bump it the other way.

  9. #9homestead4632023-07-22 03:19

    Been scratching my head trying to figure out how they bent the thing in first place. You could be onto something.

  10. #10Delmer2023-07-22 07:30

    Nothing wrong with kerfing it and re welding after you get it straight either. Pipe wrench might not be up to the job, I might weld a lever to it and use a chain and ratchet binder to the other side, or just a couple chains and ratchet binders. Or a big hammer?

  11. #11Acoals2023-07-22 10:11

    It's actually not hard, just come swinging around a foot too low with a decent sized hoe. Why not just cut it off and weld new stock on?

  12. #12cfherrman2023-07-23 17:34

    Why should you quench it after?