Hello everyone, I'm the new guy. I'm looking for some input/knowledge to help with a project. I have an '82 one ton GMC cab and chassis (narrow dual rear) which I have shortened to standard shortbox wheelbase. The frame has been "Z'd" 4 1/2" and I widened, channeled and tubbed a step side box to fit. Drop spindles up front. I'm planning on narrowing the front track width to provide tire clearance for my desired ride height. I have a line on a 3208 N/A which is currently running and driving in a '76 suburban 3/4 ton. It has been mated to a GM TH400 trans. I would like to mate this to a spicer 5spd (5776-b?) from a '72 GMC C-60. The trans is SAE #2 bell housing. I have a double disk clutch from the C-60 but I'm not sure what the 3208 currently has for a flywheel. Is this a viable combo with out excessive amounts of machining? The truck is mainly about being odd and different, not going to be worked hard often, but plan to drive daily. The 3208 fills the engine bay nicely. The truck will weigh about 7200# with the 3208. I plan to change axle ratio to suit the CAT engine. What should I shoot for rpm at 60mph keeping in mind light load and fuel economy? I know it's not going to be good, but would like to keep it to a minimum. I'll now wait to be told I'm nuts. Thanks guys. AngrySailor
I'm not much help with the "engineering" of the project, just curious why your considering a 3208? That's a big (size and weight) engine to only get around the 180ish horsepower range.
It's more for the big and ugly factor. It fits but makes a big block chev look like a Honda. I know it's not a powerhouse by any means, but it does fit in the GM frame without getting too crazy on the fabrication. As I said its running and driving in a basically identical truck frame wise...
Got it...more of a "wow factor". I like it.
I can't seem to upload any photos from my phone. But i do have a couple of the engine installed in the suburban. Does this site have a mobile app?
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question concerning mobile app, and I don't have experience using site via mobile, always use a PC myself. I can tell you pics on website have a max size of 640 x 480.
There is a 3208 powered 70's F250 thats been for sale on the socal craigslist for a while now. Might get ahold of the owner and pick his brain.