Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3208 injector solenoid burning out

JDee · 2021-12-27 20:42

Hi, I have two 3208s on a 1981Sport Fishing boat. Recently, one shut down and it was found that the injector solenoid got burnt out. The wire going to it also burned. I’m out of town so I had a guy look at it and he replaced the solenoid. However, a source of the problem was not noted. After putting the new solenoid in, it ran for a few hours and shutdown again. I’m hoping to look at the engine soon and was looking for any insight on what could be causing this problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2021-12-27 21:22

    Not being there, this is pure speculation, but what do you expect? The original could have failed naturally by shorting out internally, drawing too many amps and heating the wire to burning. The fuse should have blown before The new one could have been poor quality, or it could have been the wrong voltage and excellent quality to last a few hours, or you could have an electrical problem that caused them both to fail (unlikely). Or, the engine could have shut down for an entirely unrelated problem (reasonably likely, especially if the engine hasn't been in regular use).