Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

320B Speed sensor calibration problems

bcole4 · 2020-05-06 17:16

Hi all, First time posting in the forum. Read a lot on here and learned a ton, really appreciate everyones tips and advice. Im just getting into machines out here in Hawaii and learning a lot from everyone I can. Have a 320b that having trouble with the speed sensor calibration. The old monitor was bad so replaced it and now I'm not able to complete the calibration for the speed sensor. I replaced the speed sensor because the other one was at 0 ohm resistance. When I try to calibrate as soon as I initiate calibration I get error code HF 01 (engine stops). I have the manuals and it doesnt tell me where to go next when that happens so I'm hoping someone else has some troubleshooting advice for me. Ive read posts where people say they just keep trying when they have other errors and eventually it works but I have tried a LOT of times and the same thing always happens. Any advice on troubleshooting this issue would be much appreciated!! -Britton

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2020-05-06 17:55

    What's the machine Serial Number.? I have a suspicion that what you need is Cat Publication reference RENR1998 but only the Serial number will confirm that. Do a forum search and iit ought to throw up a few results.

  2. #2Mark2502020-05-07 02:47

    How did you adjust the sensor position relative to the gear teeth / Procedure is to turn until sensor touches gear teeth and back out 3/4 of a turn. Make sure high point of gear tooth is visible through hole in service mode enter service 12. Is the engine speed displayed?

  3. #3bcole42020-05-07 14:55

    Hi Nige, I can get the serial number after work today. I have RENR1998 as part of my manuals, that is how I have been troubleshooting so far. In the searches I have done I haven’t found anyone with this same problem. I will get the serial number after work today. Thanks for the help!

  4. #4bcole42020-05-07 14:58

    Hi Mark, That is how I installed it also. All the way in until it touches then back out 3/4 turn. I did not look through the hole though to see if the top of gear teeth was there. I entered service mode 12 and it just displays 0. Im guessing you told me to check this because this mean the speed sensor is not communicating? Thank you for the help!!

  5. #5Nige2020-05-07 14:58

    Check out Mark’s question regarding the sensor installation procedure and whether the monitor is actually registering engine speed.

  6. #6Mark2502020-05-07 15:27

    Remove the sensor to check no damage has been done and reassemble . Try turning in the sensor 1/3 turn from procedure only and recheck

  7. #7bcole42020-05-07 15:34

    Ok I will do it after work today. Thanks for the help. Should there be voltage coming out of the sensor plug if I test it while the machine is running? That way I’ll know if the lack of communication is from somewhere else or the plug. Just trying to brainstorm here...

  8. #8Mark2502020-05-07 15:41

    you should get an AC signal the frequency should change with speed

  9. #9bcole42020-05-07 23:02

    I am getting an AC voltage from the sensor. At speed setting 8 I am getting 20.5 volts and it goes up or down depending on the speed. I am still getting no reading of rpm in service mode 12. Any thoughts on what to test next? Thank you!!

  10. #10Mark2502020-05-08 03:05

    check to see if you have a signal at the ecm pin#24 and pin #25 also the sensor input to the ecm is polarity sensitive as a last resort reverse the connectors on the sensor

  11. #11bcole42020-05-09 00:43

    Checked voltage at ecm and had nothing. Traced the wires and finally found the broken wire. Reconnected, calibrated again and got a successful calibration. The machine is now running how it should just need to finish up the PRV calibration next. Thank you both for your help I really appreciate it. Until next time..... -Britton