Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

320C

ABaker · 2025-06-16 08:44

I have a 320C that looses engine power around 200 degrees. When it reaches this point it over heats pretty quickly. It’s not loosing water. I have had the heads pressure tested, inspected the water pump, changed fuel lines and filters, air filters. I am running out of ideas and would like to get your thoughts in the issue.

Replies7
  1. #1HeavyMetalRepair2025-06-16 11:23

    Have you blown out the radiator and coolers with compressed air? Belts, fan, condition of coolant. How many hours? Radiators can plug up internally.

  2. #2Nige2025-06-16 12:58

    What about the shrouds and baffles around the cooling pack.? Are they all in place and sealing correctly. There is a point of view that says the only way to properly clean the cooling package is to remove it from the machine and completely disassemble it because there are so many cooling elements stacked one on top of another making it impossible to blow out or pressure wash. Post a Serial Number so that we can see what your cooling package looks like.

  3. #3ABaker2025-06-16 14:32

    The shrouds are in pretty good shape. I have removed the AC coil and air cooler to blow out the radiator and oil cooler. You can see daylight through them pretty good. The serial number is EAG00154

  4. #4Nige2025-06-17 04:02

    Attached the parts breakdown for the cooling package to help you check if all the shrouds & seals (around a dozen of them) are in place correctly. Any air flow loss through the pack will cause major problems with a lack of adequate cooling. As your machine is now 20 years old it would not be surprising if it was missing a few bits here and there. I would still suggest that you pull the complete pack out of the machine and split it for cleaning. The fact that you can see daylight through it in a few places does not mean that it is actually clean.

  5. #5ABaker2025-06-17 08:27

    Thank you! I will check that out throughly. Any ideas as to what is causing it to loose engine power also?

  6. #6Gary Layton2025-06-17 08:43

    I have a 320C, also. I had used air pressure, power wash to clean the radiators and they looked very clean. Then the CAT tech was servicing my AC system and had "down time" while he charged the system. He showed me how to use an alkaline cleaner to "boil" the unseen dirt from the fins of the radiator. Like cleaning the coils on an AC unit:

  7. #7Innocent bystander2025-06-17 20:26

    Possibly retarded pump timing, I found that once after pump replacement,