Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

320D loosing fuel prime

Mapco · 2023-02-20 11:10

Hello all, I hope I am doing this correctly. I searched for my question and did not see anything, hope I am posting correctly. I have a 2013 John Deere 320D that is loosing fuel prime after sitting. The longer the machine sits through the day while using it the more it has to crank to start. After it sits overnight you have to crank for a very, very long time. all the filters have been replaced, the fuel lines have been replaced and there are no visible fuel leaks. Is there a check valve somewhere in the system? Could I be loosing prime through the Primer pump somehow? Could I be loosing prime through the Fuel pump? The machine runs fine after is starts.

Replies17
  1. #1Acecadet2023-02-20 11:57

    I believe the only check valves are in the transfer pump itself. May need to check into that.

  2. #2mg23612023-02-20 12:04

    Welcome to HEF Mapco ! Please post a serial number of the machine when starting a post. Yes there is. If looking in from the tipped cab, you will see a fuel line coming out the back of the head. It will have a hose that wraps to the right to a tee fitting. The tee fitting is the check valve. Did you also make sure there was no restrictions in the fuel pickup tube in the tank? Fuel tank vent clear? Engine oil level rising/smell like fuel?

  3. #3Mapco2023-02-20 14:32

    OK, THANKS FOR THE WELCOME! machine serial number is 1T0320DAPDG239181 Oil level is stable and no fuel smell. machine runs and sound great with plenty of power once it starts. I recently purchased the machine at an auction knowing that the engine had been replaced. The machine started fine at the auction but when we went back to pick it up it had to crank for a very long time to start and would not respond at all to a little shot of ether which made me suspicious of oil pressure. I took the machine home looked it over and noticed an oil leak around the oil pan gasket. I pulled the engine ,replaced the oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, water pump gasket. all of which were a combination of silicone and old gaskets. The area on the front of the block where the oil pressure bypass hole on the timing cover seals had no gasket which I think supported my theory of a lack of oil pressure at start up. I took the oil pump apart, inspected and re-assembled. I taped a plastic bag on the the oil pick up tube, covered the bypass hole with my finger and with the slightest movement of the pump gear the bag would inflate one way and deflate the other way. if I slightly broke the seal on the by pass hole the bag would not respond at all so I would say the pump is very healthy. Looks like someone opened the engine for a visual exam and put it back together. The machine starts much easier now than before pulling the engine but is still loosing fuel prime. I think I remember the fitting you are talking about. is there a vent on the fuel tank or does it vent through the cap?

  4. #4Acecadet2023-02-20 15:13

    Vent is right next to fuel cap.

  5. #5Mapco2023-02-20 15:16

    ok, got it. yes, I remember seeing it now. it had a short piece of hose on it and yes it was open. thanks!

  6. #6mg23612023-02-21 05:17

    Definitely check that vent. As mentioned, was the pickup tube in the tank checked form restrictions? I would also replace that return check valve. They have been problematic. I hope you did not use the pan gasket the dealers sell you. If you did, it WILL leak again in approximately 300 hrs.

  7. #7Mapco2023-02-21 06:05

    Thank you, I will be replacing the check valve and will check the pick up tube in the tank and double check the vent. Yes, I did get the gaskets from our local dealer, thanks for the heads up on the potential leak.

  8. #8fox1282023-06-29 18:25

    Mapco did you resolve your issue? I’m looking at a 320d that has the same issue….

  9. #9specs2024-06-06 14:37

    hi got a 320d that the engine was partial over hauled it started fine and when try to start again does not want to start at all ,almost no fuel coming from new and old fuel pump on engine driven from camshaft ? This video added the fuel hoses were connected direct to the fuel pump bypassing the fuel tank and filter direct into an bucket

  10. #10thepumpguysc2024-06-06 21:04

    A bad overflow valve will cause that, if so equipped.. Fuel will enter the fuel gallery and go straight out, leaving nothing for the pump to pump.

  11. #11specs2024-06-07 03:23

    What should the flow be from the fuel pump to engine

  12. #12mg23612024-06-07 05:04

    There is no flow spec. There should be enough flow to create 25 psi while cranking or running. If you bypassed the tank, then you most likely have a bad fuel pump. Or debris of some sort got stuck in the check valves in the fuel pump. Was the return check valve replaced during the overhaul? I highly recommend that you do.

  13. #13specs2024-06-07 05:07

    are you talking of the t-piece ?

  14. #14mg23612024-06-07 05:09

    Yep

  15. #15mg23612024-06-07 05:10

    I also edited my original post if you have not seen it.

  16. #16specs2024-06-07 05:18

    yes it was replaced , with the tank bypassrd and fuel pick up held in a seperate container the fuel fliw from the pump is almost nithing , but when removing the pump and pushing it manualy a lot of diesel comes out . Could it be the cam lope that does not push the fuel pump shats far enought ?

  17. #17mg23612024-06-07 05:30

    Is the lobe worn? More important, is the cam turning?