Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

320L w/ J.H. drill, 3054 PerCat Rod Insert

MrMajestical · 2016-08-26 20:36

I am rebuilding a Perkins/Cat 3054. Owner got a cheap engine kit, the rod bearings had no lock tab. I called Empire Cat and ordered a set from them. Got those rod bearings, and no lock on them either. Anyone ever encountered this? I do not want to use them but not sure what's going on..

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2016-08-26 23:09

    I googled it and the pictures I could find showed them. If they've done away with them it's the first time I've heard of such a thing. CAT may be buying bearings from the same manufacturer and they missed that step. I'd be giving the CAT service manager a call, or ask the dealer contact person to talk to CAT technical about it, usually a pretty quick turnaround on that if they can't find the service bulletin that covers this change if any.

  2. #2MrMajestical2016-08-27 00:42

    Thank you for the info. I never heard of a rod bearing not having a lock. I thought for sure the Cat part would be legit. Although I did get a fuel solenoid that had no grommets on it, so maybe their quality control ain't all that...

  3. #3Cmark2016-08-27 01:50

    I think you'll find that it's OK. Do you have the engine apart yet? I rebuilt one a couple of years ago and from memory I think it has fractured cap rods. If it does then there will be no tabs. You just centralise the shell in the rod and put it together. I also thought it was a bit weird at first.

  4. #4MrMajestical2016-08-27 16:48

    I have disassembled the engine. It has machined rods, with heavy serration, but it's not the pressed powdered rods that are snapped. There are lock tabs on the rods and the inserts had the locks.

  5. #5Cmark2016-08-27 16:59

    You may have the wrong bearings then. I've definitely seen some as you describe that fitted a Cat badged engine. As always... ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓