Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

322C Fuel Leak

CDUB ยท 2016-04-08 23:25

Serial number is BKJ, 3126 engine. The injection pump has a fuel leak where the two halves of the pump bolt together. Will the pump just pull out of there if I unbolt it? Is it timed? Is it a big deal to split the pump and replace the seal?

Replies5
  1. #1Cmark2016-04-09 04:05

    That's actually a governor, not an injection pump. Are you sure fuel is leaking from the housing? It should be engine oil in there. The only part of it which has anything to do with fuel is the transfer pump at the drive end. It may be leaking where the fuel manifold bolts onto the top of the governor and running down the outside of the housing. If you do decide to remove it, it isn't timed. There is however a linkage between the governor and the rocker box which you'll have to separate. It's a bit fiddly to do if you've not done it before. In theory when the governor is reinstalled, the fuel rack setting should be checked but in practise they very rarely need any adjustment.

  2. #2CDUB2016-04-09 10:42

    I'll try to get a picture from the parts book posted. I'm not positive where the fuel is coming from. The joint in the housing was definitely wet with fuel. Half way up the governor seems to be the highest point, but if it has oil on the other side, I had better keep searching. It only leaks if the machine idles, perhaps that would help isolate possible sources. It runs down the front cover as well as below the governor. It doesn't cause trouble or lose much fuel, it just makes a mess of the engine compartment. Just not so bad I want to call Cat out to fix it.

  3. #3CDUB2016-04-11 22:42

    I did some more investigating and I think the leak is coming from the front of the head. With the engine idling I can see an occasional drip coming from behind the fan mount. I can't see the source of the leak. The fuel line going into the head is dry. The parts book shows a plug and o ring that would be hidden in the area I'm thinking of. Does anyone know if it would have fuel behind it?

  4. #4Cmark2016-04-11 23:21

    The fuel return line which bolts onto the top of the head connects to a fuel gallery which runs along the length of the head, so if you've got a plug in that general area at the front of the head then yes, it's probably blanking off the end of the fuel gallery.

  5. #5CDUB2016-04-12 22:53

    Thanks Cmark. It will be a week or so before I tear into it. I'll let you know what I find.