I got a call from my local JD dealer yesterday, asking if i wanted to setup a demo. I really want to try out a CTL having never run one before, but i'm a little lost on which one would be a better fit. The 260 i have now has 74 hp, weighs somewhere around 8,000lbs and i have 2 78 or 74in buckets for it. Common jobs for it would be the tree shear, round bale handling, fencing, and maintaining farm roads. Basically any earthmoving projects too small to justify moving the 450.
I think the 323D would be more than adequate. I was talking with our Deere district manager the other day, and he claims the 329D will outdo a T320. Might be a bit overkill for what you're doing.
From the sounds of it the 323 would fit your bill besides the type of tree shearing your doing. I've run both the 322/332 and for my needs the 323 would be better. But I love having the extra power,reach, and machine instead of over loading the 322. Now that they have a 329 I'm going with it. If you look at the spec the 333 isn't that much more of a machine. A 329 decked out with a 84'' bucket is what I might end up with on the trailer!! I just wished it had the ol' 4045 in her.
I have a 12" dymax shear, the one they built before the timberwolf, I know that the 260II handles the shear fine. It has foam filled tires to deal with osage orange and locust trees. I know what you mean about the 4045. If i had a t370 or equivalent truck and could swing the extra cost for a farm machine i'd have one of these. With full forestry guarding, quick hitch and aux hydraulics would be the worlds meanest "Compact" track loader. Maybe add a winch for good measure.