Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

325B Water in hydraulic system

cb75 ยท 2016-10-20 18:39

Working on a 325B excavator with swing problems. Removed the hose from top of the swing motor and noticed the oil is milky looking, of course that means it has water in it. Pulled a sample from the tank and it too is very milky. My question is what would be the best way to go about cleaning out the system? I've dealt with water contaminated systems on other machines before, but never on an excavator. Obviously I'll drain the tank but just wondering how in depth I need to go as far as removing oil from cylinders, cooler, valves, the pump, etc. Any ideas, or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #103 EC2102016-10-20 19:23

    I drained the tank and pump. Reprimed the pump and changed filters. Ran for a few hours. Did this THREE times before oil stayed fairly clean. Either that or hook up inlet to a drum and run every function. Gets crazy.

  2. #2cb752016-10-21 13:44

    That's what i'm anticipating, changing oil and filters several times. Problem is that I don't know how long the machine has been ran with water in the oil. Can only imagine how bad it is on the pump. I guess a sample now and one every so often afterwards would be a good idea? Thanks for responding 03 EC210.

  3. #3cb752016-10-21 13:51

    This machine also has swing issues. It will not swing, as if the swing brake is not releasing. I have 24volts @the swing brake solenoid and have installed a new solenoid but it will not budge in either direction. Gonna unbolt the swing motor and raise it out of swing drive gear box to see if it's something wrong with the motor, or something in the gear box or swing gear/bearing.

  4. #4Delmer2016-10-21 22:25

    There are other methods of removing water from hydraulic oil worth considering. Water absorbing filters, heat, and/or vacuum dehydration. Maybe even centrifuge too? None of them are cheap and easy. But neither is changing the hydraulic fluid multiple times.

  5. #5LeeSteiner2016-10-22 10:33

    I had the same issue in a 1995 1044 lull and that machine has miles of lines in it. We changed the fluid and filters twice, the first time we got an additive used to help remove water and dosed it high along with a gallon of marvel mystery oil and ran the machine for a few days to circulate. We changed it again and that was 5 years ago and the hydraulic system has been good aside from the usual blowing line here and there.

  6. #6cb752016-10-22 14:39

    Thanks for the replies. Delmer, I've never heard of water absorbing filters, do you know if the Cat dealer would offer them. I will check with our Cat PSSR on Monday. Regarding the swing problem, This machine has a new swing motor, has around 40-50 hours since it was replaced. I unbolted and pulled the motor up out of the swing drive gear box, started machine and attempted to swing, and it still will not turn. The swing Brake is not releasing. Going to tee in a gauge to check pilot pressure at the brake solenoid/oil inlet on the motor. Will also cut open the case drain filter to check for metal.