Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

328d remote oil filter hoses

heymccall · 2021-11-24 12:50

Is there a better hose to use? All 3 of my 328D, all under 6k hours, begin to look like the Exxon Valdez underneath, and the oil source is partial failure of the remote engine oil filter hoses. Apparently, these hose assemblies don't care for heat or oil. It's even more fun removing them than it is installing the new ones. I've got it down to 9hrs, with 1 person.

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2021-11-24 14:06

    Maybe upgrade from the 716 single-braid suction hose of the originals to something a bit more resistant.? The couplings will remain the same. 271-9261 271-9262

  2. #2Junkyard2021-11-24 22:25

    I do them about the same interval on our drills. Get so stiff you can’t hardly fish them out! I’ve considered trying a different hose myself. The heat in there just cooks them.

  3. #3Cmark2021-11-25 01:00

    Is there a better hose to use? Yes actually. There is. It's called Cat 4901 high temperature hose. For the past few years I've been having remote oil filter hoses made from it and I'm a BIG fan of it in this application. In fact I've recently noticed new machines coming through with it from the factory. You may actually find that the part numbers for the hoses on your machine update to incorporate it in the assembly. Ask your dealer for the breakdown of the latest and greatest part number and if it contains hose in this chart, you're in luck. If not, ask them to build the stock hoses using 4901 high temp. They should know what you're talking about.

  4. #4John C.2021-11-25 15:06

    I was seeing that on machine inspections back around 2005 and complaining to the Cat factory people about it. Nothing that I've seen up to now has changed. Hose failure seems to start around the 5,000 hour mark on most machines..

  5. #5Cmark2021-11-25 15:58

    The 4901 hose is easy to spot. It's blue in colour.

  6. #6joel123er2024-09-18 18:14

    currently doing this job any tips on disconnecting them from the engine side

  7. #7heymccall2024-09-18 18:54

    I has zero clue as to what machine you are working on. And, yes, the blue hose, and blue Orings, are worth it.

  8. #8joel123er2024-09-18 20:40

    Sorry cat 328d oil lines going from the engine to the oil filter housing

  9. #9heymccall2024-09-18 22:55

    Clamps are pain in the but. I recommend replacing the Orings, too. And, the 3 O-rings in the filter head mount.

  10. #10joel123er2024-09-18 23:02

    Nice I sen those clamps not looking forward to those did you remove the turbo in order to undo the lines ?

  11. #11heymccall2024-09-18 23:57

    I'm 5'17" so I has long arms. I don't recall removing anything on the counterweight side. On the boom side of engine, separator panels had to come out.

  12. #12Cmark2024-09-19 03:37

    Did you have to request the 4901 hose or was it an update?

  13. #13heymccall2024-09-19 06:56

    On my 320E, they came blue, but, at that time, I had to request blue for my first 328D. The ones for the next two 328D came in blue.

  14. #14Cmark2024-09-19 07:27

    The system works!