View attachment IMG_0815.jpeg I have had trouble finding out what kind of holder works best for me when clearing with my old Hitachi 200 ex-5. I have tried two different types with one latest version from Romac working better than the other but they still break and sometimes i lose a tooth maybe 2 hours after installing a new replacement holder. Driving washers down on one side does help as they are not wide enough and fit sloppy. Note I have a new bucket so the shank is not wore out. Grade 8 bolts were working longer than the made for tooth holders. Now I have stepped up to the grade 9 bolts pictured. I believe this will be the best solution to keep teeth from falling off when clearing. I get a lot of help from the members on this site and if I get time I like to contribute myself to helping others who are in need of suggestions or knowledge I may have to help them. Thank you HEF mudober
12.9 grade hardness screws will work better
Actually grade 5 are better for holding teeth on. Grade 8 or higher will snap where grade 5 will bend but not break. Another option is to tack weld the correct pins on the ends. Tacks can be ground off when teeth need to be changed.
Would that be a metric bolt?
I actually take the time to run my nylocks on backwards, they tend to hold longer as the smaller nylon end fits in the washers tighter. PITA though.
I understand grade 8 will take a bending but not shure about the 9 as i haven’t installed them yet
Also wanted to add that a keeper cost $16.00. the bolt with nut and washers is $7.00 and some change.
For my backhoe, the rubber internal pins work great, on my skid steer, bolts work better.
No, grade 8 won't bend, they will snap. Grade 9 would snap too. 12.9 is a metric bolt slightly stronger than what is often to referred to as a grade 12 bolt. They would be be the wrong choice too. You want to use bolts that have some give in a shear situation. High tensile bolts are too brittle in a shear application. I still think if your shanks are good and you have tight fitting teeth the proper retainers shouldn't come out. You could weld washers onto the teeth to hold the pins in. Bolts are what you use in an emergency to save the shanks from wearing.