Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 320C — SOS analysis says “water in final drive”

Gary Layton ยท 2025-07-30 13:37

Excavator is a Cat 320C L serial number PAB 06638 I recently took samples of the oil in the final drives and sent them to CAT for analysis. The right drive is OK...the left drive shows water in the drive. I have not noticed any major symptoms of a problem...sometimes when the CAT is first run...tracking...before it is up to mid-range temps, it will pull slightly to the left when in rabbit mode. Once it warms up good that tendency goes away. But overall, the drives seem good and strong. I figure I should remove the inboard covers that protect the hoses of the final drive and pressure wash the final drives and get them very clean then run the tracks some (while suspended off the ground) and check for leaks, etc. Any other suggestions to what to do? CAT says to change the oil, flush the system, and re-test in 125 hours. I know how to position the drain plug "low" and empty the oil. How is a purge done? Do I need to flush the final drive system somehow? If so, with what fluid? Is this a "stop everything and do it now" if there are no symptoms? Ignore the oil type as 15W-40...I put that on their form, and I am sure it is not right. The Operator's Manual says it is 50W oil.

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2025-07-30 13:57

    Drain the oil and refill with the specified quantity of either kerosene, diesel, hydraulic oil, or a mix. Raise that track off the ground with the machine hydraulics and let it run for 5-10 minutes or so under no load. Then drain and refill with SAE 50 TO-4 oil. Re-sample the oil after maybe 50 operating hours. If the analysis looks OK then sample after 250 hours. Looking at the SOS analysis the LH final drive was sampled in October 24 and was apparently the same. How come it has taken a second "Action Required" sample on the same compartment to get anything done.?

  2. #2Gary Layton2025-07-30 14:45

    Thanks, Nige. Does "let it run for 5-10 minutes or so under no load" mean track off the ground and run the tracks for 5-10 minutes? Re: "How come it has taken a second "Action Required" sample on the same compartment to get anything done.?" I had the Oct. 2024 sample done while Yancey was replacing my head gaskets. When I saw the analysis I asked them to drain, flush, etc. while they had it at the shop. I am working my way thru invoices/service tickets now to see if they actually did it. CAT tickets are VERY detailed...mine even show step by step how the service techs hooked up gauges, tested PRVs, didn't like the numbers, tried other procedures...lots of good info but lots to wade thru. I suspect they did not get to the drain and flush so I will need to do it.

  3. #3Nige2025-07-30 14:52

    It does indeed. If it slipped through the cracks that would explain it.

  4. #4Gary Layton2025-07-30 15:09

    They probably did not do the drain and flush...they had to take the heads off 3 times to finally get the head gasket to seal. The heads and block were "true," but they could not get a good seal. In desperation, they finally used Permatex (with what was supposed to be a dry head gasket fit), and it finally almost sealed. After their Permatex "fix", there was a very small seepage at the same area where I first found the leaking gasket...it seems to have finally sealed completely. They said the block was "too smooth" and was not sealing/mating to the gasket properly...thus they tried Permatex. When they did the second gasket attempt and it did not work, they kicked the problem up to the CAT guru techs. Their solution was to replace the block. That is when I gave them the "OK" to try Permatex. All that to say that everybody was pulling hair, gnashing teeth, and frustrated for awhile...they were also troubleshooting hydraulic PRV issues and a rusty fuel tank and contaminated fuel lines. They had lots going on so I think the final drive service got missed. Thanks for the help.