Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

330 tier 3 linkbelt 6hk1 engine ecu

Rtss · 2018-10-08 01:13

REBUILT ENGINE REINSTALLED NOW NO INJECTION PULSE 14 VOLTS TO BOTH SIDES OF INJECTOR WIRES , 17 VOLTS ON RAIL PSI SCV24 VOLTS DEALERS SAYS NO VOLTAGE SHOULD BE OVER 4.1-4.7 UNHOOKED WIRING HARNESS FROM ECU IT STILL SHOWS THOSE ABNORMAL READINGS AT THE ECU PINS . They say ecu bad was working good till engine replaced now they want 3 grand to replace ecu???? their labor is 1000 with mileage they say I cant install being it has to be programed to machine and no software is avalible to purchase to program my self????? Any advise

Replies11
  1. #1TVA2018-10-08 01:34

    I’m not sure if it will be a good advise, but try and find ECU rebuilders. My experience was not that great, ( for Cummins N14 select ) but after three times and me yelling at them they finally fixed it right for $730. Of course it is different engines but I just wanted to inform you of this option.

  2. #2TVA2018-10-08 01:42

    Long shot - missing ground can do weard things, also try to check the wiring under load disconnected from everything else. But like I said it’s a long shot!

  3. #3CatKC2018-10-08 08:21

    I would say if the ECU was working -before- the engine was replaced it would definitely be wise to check the ground.

  4. #4Rtss2018-10-08 11:20

    GUYS THANKS FOR YOU REPLYS WE DID CLEAN GROUND TO BATTERY AND FRAME AND ENGINE TO FRAME BUT I THINK IM GOING BACK AND DO MORE CHECKING . I JUST BOUGHT NEW PROPE HOOK AND ILL TAKE BATTERY LOAD TEST TO CHECK ALSO. I THINK YOU MAY JUST BE CORRECT ITS SOMETHING SIMPLE

  5. #5TVA2018-10-08 11:38

    Some ECUs have up to 4 or 5 powers and grounds in their connector sockets different grounds can have different places on the machines body or at batteries, you need manual to locate all of them. Just want to clarify: test under load means check for internal wiring damage ( in my experience often occurs at the bolt terminal on the grounding lug) which shows up only under load. You can rigg up 55 watt incandescent headlight bulb, one wire on B+ other touch ground terminals of ECU. If the bulb will be dim then you probably have internal damage in the wire. And I would suggest to unplug all the ECUs on that branch of wiring, just in case. And be careful not to spread female connectors in the sockets by jamming oversized objects in to them.

  6. #6TVA2018-10-08 12:00

    Also usually fuses are on power feed wires of the ECU but if your injectors ground controlled the fuse might be on ground side of injector driver inside the ECU.

  7. #7Rtss2018-10-08 12:21

    Wow thanks TVA first time I have ever been on a forum this is good info you have . Thanks so much Do you know anywhere I can get my ecu tested The unit is a 330 linkbelt with Isuzu 6hk1 engine sumonto made this ,cas,and hitachi machine all have same engine and im pretty sure the engine ecu is Isuzu I have the part numbers . Dealer says I will have to have new engine ecu programmed to my machines ecu

  8. #8TVA2018-10-08 12:36

    This is Isuzu engine. The last one I worked on was many years ago and fully mechanical. It was also many years ago when I had my Cummins ECU repaired by some outfit in Florida, I found them on Ebay. Experience was not so great. Usually technicians when suspect ECM check powers and grounds, wiring and that is pretty much it. Everything else is for electronic dorks You can ask local Isuzu dealer but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Google and forums, finding the people who might have their ECM repaired before, who’ve done it and how good it was. It’s all I can help you with.

  9. #9TVA2018-10-08 12:39

    Can you pull the trouble codes off of that machine? It might give you directions.

  10. #10Rtss2018-10-08 12:46

    I AGREE WITH YOU OM THE ECU REPAIR ONE REALLY GOOD GUY IN CANADA SAID THEY QUIT ECM REPAIR WAS NOT NOTHING BUT ISSUES ONE AFTER ANOTHER AND YOU LOSE TO MANY CUSTOMERS BUYING OTHER PRODUCTS

  11. #11TVA2018-10-08 13:01

    When I was looking in to it Cummins wanted $3500 for refurbished and I herd some horror stories about it, even one about pistons in the engine melting because ECMs wrong timing ( don’t know if it was true ) and Cummins refused to pay for engine rebuild because it was not new ECM. The people I went with - first time it came back with wrong software in it, second time right software but old problem, then I yelled at them and told them that I will pull the money back through credit card I used, so the put the ECM in to machine ( at least they told me that ) and ran it until it started acting up, replaced injector driver chip and it still running OK some 8 years later.