Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

33000 Pound Trailer Question

AllDodge · 2011-04-03 15:37

Looking into buying a 955L track loader which weights 33K for personal use, no commerical work. My plan is to pay a trucking company to haul it to my place. To keep from getting long winded, I plan to move the loader a few times and so I need to decide do I get a trailer or find someone to move it every time. I have a 2500 Diesel pickup and a single axle Internatioanl 4700, with hydraulic brakes. I like the idea of a tag trailer but I can not find a tag larger then 12 ton with electric brakes, they appear to all use air. I could use a tri-axle trailer because I will not be going very far. What do you think?

Replies10
  1. #1tuney4432011-04-03 16:29

    First thing--please don't even think twice about pulling that load with your Chevy pickup as you will hurt or kill somebody,maybe yourself,as that's some serious weight there you want to pull and too much for any pickup.I've seen some 15 to tags with electric brakes but never a 18 or 20 ton,which is what you need.Sounds like you'll be hiring somebody.

  2. #2AllDodge2011-04-03 17:29

    No Chevy pickup "got it" ,

  3. #3mitch5042011-04-03 18:15

    For short distances, slowly you would probably be fine w/ a 15-ton electric braked trailer behind THE 4700 , or you could have a trailer built w/ 3 10-12,000 electric braked axles. Please never again mention "towing a 955" and "pickup" in the same thought.

  4. #4AllDodge2011-04-03 19:17

    I have been pulling and towing stuff for a real long time, and have always done it safely, and never any issues or close calls. When I submit the thread I wasn't thinking "of the pickup issue" just indicating what I have available. I have registered in many of the forums and it all started with the Cummins Forum (All Dodge). I think I’m signed up to 9 different forums currently. Back to the original thought, I never had anything that weighed as much as the 955, been pulling 12K cruisers in and around. My Dodge max is around 18K so the 955 is out of it’s safety zone, but was just thinking as I said what is available. My max distance would be less then 10 miles so I like the idea of the tri-axle. Sure appreciate the input, and maybe I’ll settle with hiring it out but I hate to wait for anyone to do something for me, it always takes to lng and cost to much. But it is what it is. Many thanks and sorry for the pickup thing, but do appreciate your thoughts for my safety and those who happen to be around at the time.

  5. #5Komatsu 1502011-04-03 21:21

    I think you are way low with the weight estimate. Our 955l with rops and aftermarket cab (not much to the cab it's a cheapy) goes 37000 lbs. Weighed it a number of times.

  6. #6CM19952011-04-03 21:26

    A 953 weighs about the same and it is a good load on a 55K tandem air brake trailer pulled by a 400HP tri-axle. Unless you want to upgrade a pulling vehicle and trailer, it looks like hiring it out is the way to go. You can move it many times before you can recoup your costs of purchasing a truck and trailer. IMO a 4700 with juice brakes pulling a 955, regardless of trailer, is asking for a very unsafe and scary ride.:cool2

  7. #7AllDodge2011-04-04 15:19

    The weight came from the guy who owns it, and says it's a 1979 model, pics show open rops. Guess it's to heavy for anything I have. Storms coming through today so I rescheduled for tomorrow. Thanks much for the info

  8. #8mitch5042011-04-04 15:50

    Caterpillar shows the weight of a 955L as 30,000 to 35,000, depending how it is equipped. I pull skidders that are heavier and a 953 on an airbraked trailer behind a heavy spec single axle Mack tractor with no problem. If you have a trailer that is setup for it, with good brakes, and the load properly balanced, you should be OK. A 15-ton trailer should be good for 16 1/2 tons occasionally, for short distances slowly, just make sure you have enough tongue weight. What is the gvwr and gawr of your 4700?

  9. #9AllDodge2011-04-04 16:13

    The GVW is 26,847 according to the dealer (26K tag). As I remember the guy says it has about 5K in count weights. Well that puts it up to 38K, details, details, I always get caught with the details. Side note, but tid bit of info for KY folks. The KY Horse Council pate is a 38K plate, can be used for private (home use only) and cost 28 bucks a year. Can be put on anything from a small car to a tandem dump. Also sure beats the heck out of $160

  10. #10Raildudes dad2011-04-04 18:38

    I'm running an 87 Ford LTL 9000, a tandem with a rebuilt 74 Phelen tandem trailer. Tractor weighs 17,500, the trailer 11,300. Under Michigan weight laws I can legally carry about 45,000 lbs, with a single axle I can carry about 38,000 w/o an over weight permit. In Michigan your not supposed to be able to get a permit for an over weight for a single axle tractor if it would be legal pulled with a tandem. Also, in MI, if your using a farm plate, it's only good for to and from your farm. As a "hobby" guy, I don't want to have to prove to the DOT guy either along side the road or at the weigh station that I'm farming