Hello, I am needing some information form someone that is a expert on it. My excavator currently has a 3304 turbo engine in it. arrangement # 6A6501 Will a 3304 PC engine work for a good swap? arrangement # 7N1522 What my thinking was if i used my injector pump and all corresponding parts needed off my engine it would work. If not please let me know.
I'm thinking having the actual S/N for each might be a good addition to the arrangement numbers, just to be safe! It looks like one is for the excavator the other for maybe a wheel loader? Other than obvious things you should be able to see externally, like pump drive mounts, oil pans and front cover I would be wondering about location of oil pump and maybe pistons and turbos. Are they both pre-chamber engines?
yes that is correct the wheel loader was the only one i found so far with motor running in it to replace mine. serial #'s My engine 3304 serial - 48V45188 6A6501 Wheel loader 3304 PC 78P (5 or 6)0817 7N1522 Picture attached of my engine that I have of it and then the wheel loaders
Well if I'm seeing the pictures right the excavator is a turboed engine and the front end loader is naturally asperated engine. A quick look at the part numbers for the pistons, which might be the biggest difference between the two shows the loader using 8N3181 piston groups and the excavator using 8N3183 piston groups. I have no way of knowing for sure but I would guess the turboed engine would have a lower compression ratio than the naturally asperated engine. Without some advice from someone that knows better than me I would hesitate to just add the fuel system and turbo on the loader engine.
No, No, and No. Every Cat engine is built to a specific arrangement number because of the huge variation in internal parts used. And each Cat engine is built for a specific application. The only way to do this is to acquire the specific parts catalogs for the 6A and 7N series arrangement engines, and then compare side-by-side, all the internal component part numbers. You will find there are different heads, different injectors, different pistons, different rings, possibly different crankshaft and camshaft, and maybe even different conrods. It's a mistake, and asking for trouble, to start swapping components between different Cat engine arrangement numbers, without being fully conversant with all the engine component differences.
Yes you are correct on which is which. I will be giving CAT a call today to speak to their expert on this and let them tell me when would have to happen for it to work. Thanks for the input on this, hopefully will have some information by the end of day on this then.
I was just pointing out the obvious differences I could see from the pictures. If you want to really go down a rabbit hole try explaining to someone why one say 4-71 Detroit can not just be swapped in to replace another 4-71. I would compare those old Detroits to a box of Legos! Heck even the block's front on one model might be the rear on another. And you want it to run clockwise or counter clockwise?
Another question is do you own both engines and what is the main concern? This may be out of the box thinking but if the front and rear mounts are the same I would use it. If not then change the rear bell housing and front support. I have seen quite a bit of swapping in my day. 45 years ago when I did work for the local cat dealer I saw guys put turbos on 951C because they were the same engine (3304) that was in the 955K/L's, just turned up. Also we weren't suppose to mess with the fuel system on a D6C of D7F (3306) because a rod might come out the side of the block, but same crank, same connecting rod, same poston was in the 3306 truck engine turning 2600 RPMs. So what does that tell you. The main difference is probably going to be the pistons and that is the, piston in the natural asperated engine will not have a heat plug in top of the piston and the turbocharged one will outside of where the exhaust is I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't keep the turbo charger on the engine you will probably have to remove the fuel/air ratio valve and tweek the rack setting so you don't put the sun out when you rev it up. Hope this helps, if you were closer and easier way to communicate I would be clad to walk you through the process I don't always have the right termanilage to use when explaining this stuff. Maurice