Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3304 oil pressure

Flhr62 ยท 2017-06-20 16:04

Could someone tell me what oil pressure I should be getting at off idle and WOT. Engine is new Cat reman long block.

Replies12
  1. #1kshansen2017-06-20 18:27

    Without looking for actual spec's I would hope you are seeing around 30 at low idle and 60 psi WOT with warm oil. what are you seeing? Do you know if your gauge is accurate?

  2. #2DMiller2017-06-20 18:48

    Here we go again!!

  3. #3Junkyard2017-06-20 19:58

    Dejavu all over again.....? Good grief I hope not!

  4. #4Flhr622017-06-21 15:14

    Don't know if gauge is accurate but it's a new Bosch gauge. Haven't let it get warm yet, but cold it's around 80 just above idle, wide open it pegs the gauge which is 100. Does this sound normal? Will be able to run it this weekend to see what it is warmed up.

  5. #5Junkyard2017-06-21 17:41

    I would say that is far from normal. I'm not sure what the oil pump is like on that particular engine. It may have a relief valve that is stuck closed. I doubt it's like a bigger motor where it can be shimmed for desired pressure but I suppose it's possible they have it shimmed too high..... Is the correct weight oil in it? Maybe stick a manual gauge on it to see what you're getting. I suppose it's possible sending unit and gauge aren't compatible? Mixed up when packaged? That sure is high!

  6. #6Flhr622017-06-21 17:49

    All it had was an idiot light. I put a mechanical gauge on it. Maybe I'll try a different gauge.

  7. #7Flhr622017-06-21 17:50

    15-40 Rottela

  8. #8Junkyard2017-06-21 18:01

    Hmm well if a mechanical gauge says that I'd tend to believe it. I'd say there's an oil pump or relief issue with it. What kind of machine is it in? Does the arrangement of the engine match the application? Correct pan and pickup for application?

  9. #9GregsHD2017-06-21 18:32

    Since it's a new reman id get on the horn with who ever sold it to you and discuss the problem before you do much of anything, it's still under warranty no?

  10. #10Flhr622017-06-21 18:50

    Cat 963. Used original oil pan. Yes still under warranty.

  11. #11Flhr622017-06-25 17:54

    Ran the loader some today. After it gets warmed up, it idles at about 50 lbs and wot is 80. I would think that is about right. Thanks for the replys Mark

  12. #12hvy 1ton2017-06-25 19:15

    If a 100 psi gauge is pegged and the gauge isn't chinesium, the oil pressure relief is not functioning properly.