working on 955L cracked the block at mid counter shaft bearing on the outside left side of block.My question are all 3304 blocks interchangeable. Or does it have to be a PC block only and are the spacer plate blocks the same as the non spacer plate block. Can you use a DI block and will all the parts from a PC fit on it.
No you can't mix and match. If you have to ask questions like this maybe this job should go to someone who knows. Bob
I asked a question not to be ridiculed. The dumbest question is not asking the question. I came on here looking for answers that's all.
Looking to get another block just wanted to know the difference and can you tell from looking at them.a bare block that is Called Cat my serial # is a 78P and. I found a 6N and a 7N and parts guy said they all super seed to the same number a 1N just want to get more info. He couldn't tell me
The difference between spacer plate and non spacer plate engines is the block itself. A non spacer plate block will have counterbores for the liners, spacer plate block is flat. If you post the full serial number of your engine we can tell you what part or serial numbers will make a good donor.
78P7331
The blocks I found were 7N5454 and 6N7984
These should help. Your existing block number should be 2P8774.
The 6N8127 mentioned in the service mag changes to 1N3574. The 7N5454 you've found also changes to 1N3574 so should be OK.
Ok thank you so much for all the info
I just went through this. It was really tough to find the non-spacer plate block. Be careful, as many will try to sell you the spacer plate block as I believe the numbers cross reference to that block. It will not work without purchase of additional parts.
Ok thanks everyone for giving me the correct info from people that know. I can use a di block just need additional parts which is fine.Thanks for the parts list this is why I ask questions because I don't know everything.
If members quit asking questions HEF would slowly go into an internet black hole. Be sure to come back if you need more help.
Despite the chances I will ever lay hands on a 3300 Cat engine again are slim I did save the three files posted in this thread, never can tell when someone will need the information! Cmark and Joel59 might be busy so I can offer the help! If I had only been thinking in the last few days at work I would have walked out with the binders of the service magazines I had collected over the years. I believe I had 90% or more of them from the early 1970's up to sometime in the early 2000's. That along with a few of the service manuals for what in 2015 when I retired would have been more or less obsolete for the equipment the company owned at that time.
IIRC your voice is still on the answerphone message, why don't you just wander back in there one day and collect all "your" old documents ...?