They made a 3306 in a direct injection and an idi motor. Is the block and crank interchangeable between these two motors. I have a idi core motor and didn't realize it till we started looking at them. I'm hoping I can use the head off the blown motor and do a sleeve and piston kit for a di motor in the idi block.
block is different for sure
I would have to say No for the block, because of the major head redesign required where the precoms were eliminated, which would have also led to block design changes. I would have to opine the crank would be interchangeable, but I'd need a crank part number so I can check the Cat NPR microfiche for serial number ranges for that crank part number.
I was hoping that wasn't the answer. Luckily I've only got a 1000 in the complete motor. Guess it's back to looking, they aren't real hard to come up with like the 3304 and this is an extra machine I only need if the 973 goes down.
Just for fun do you have the S/N off the replacement engine and the original engine? That would let someone with access to SIS at least check the P/N's of the crank and block to see if they are the same.
That's a good idea, I'll get them sometime. Both are a ways from me. The loader is still setting by the lake where it broke, I ended up with no machine to move it. Doing the in frame on the one that is using oil this week and hopefully have it running by next week. Luckily the blown up one is only a couple miles from the shop where it will be worked on. About a half mile of highway with real wide shoulders and the rest gravel road. When we get the one running I think I'll just drive it to the broke one and chain them back to back and drag the dead one in. Did that with the 963 and it worked good.
I was told if the idi motor has the row of 3/8 head bolts by the intake the blocks are the same. Mine has that. Time will tell, this one probably won't have anything done to it till next summer. Two of them is enough for the pocket book this winter.
blocks are different liners are different di use a spacer plate between head and block pc don't and liners go in to counter bores in block di don't
The idi motor I have has a spacer plate.
It may work then I don't recall ever seeing a spacer plate indirect engine
You can use it if it’s a spacer plate block. I have updated some from precups to direct injection. Just make sure you get the right pistons. Direct injected won’t have the button in the piston.
Yea, I don't think direct injection pistons will last long with the blow torch like flame out of the prechambers.
Probably buy a new loaded DI head when I rebuild it or use the one of the DI heads I have and get one redone. The pistons I got in the kit for the one I'm doing an inframe on has the smaller bowls but they are deeper, factory pistons have a larger bowl but shallower. Same part number, anyone run into this?
What brand kit? Do you have pictures of the pistons?
I don't have a picture, checked them and they are 8cc's smaller bowl than the wide bowl pistons. They remind me of a early 12 valve cummins pistons versus the wider marine bowl. The mechanic working on it didn't think 8 cc's difference was enough to matter compression wise.
I got these mixed up, I'm doing sleeves and pistons and new head on one I got hot not the blown up one. I've had a dose of real bad luck lately two motors lost rods and this one getting hot. Got it all freshened and it ran 5 hours before a loud ticking which we found to be valves hitting the pistons. My old pistons had two valve reliefs and these had just an exhaust relief. Sorry for the confusion. I've done nothing with the blown up one. Well the intake valves hit the pistons. Apparently the motor I have that I put in it 5 years ago is a stationary high horsepower motor with different cam timing and has to have the double valve reliefs. Luckily it didn't hurt much. All the suppliers my mechanic called said these pistons would work and had the same part number. So he thinks he found a set with the double reliefs and I'm putting all new intake valves in and new guides, it chipped the bottom off of one guide. When we checked one valve had .025 thosands interference and the rest were at around 0. This was a new loaded head also.
It's a gift that keeps on giving, took the new head to a machine shop to check the valves and it appears this motor has a higher lift cam also. It put all the valves into coil bind and actually tried to push the locks threw the retainers. So much for thinking all 3306's are the same. I went from a fresh motor to 5 hours later having a POS that needs almost everything again.
That's why Cat engines have "arrangement" numbers, this gives you all the engine build details and the components and parts list. The changes are many and subtle. 3306's went into 19 different Cat machines, they went into probably another 90 non-Cat machines, and they were produced in at least 6 versions for specified uses - Industrial, Construction, Automotive, Agricultural, Marine, and Fire pump. Plus there were a myriad of engineering design changes as improvements were made. There were a sizeable number of piston variations alone.
But it's yellow and says CAT on the side so it's all the same right?
Yea found out the hard way. Found out the piston can have the same casting number but you have to look at the top to get the arrangement number. He had the block number and the guy looking up parts actually came up with the right piston but got his mind changed. Live and learn, it's only hard to get ahold of and hard to hold money. Funny thing is I was working on fixing a leaking lake for the guy that got the parts for me when it quite.
Finally got it running, learned a lot the hard way. I bought a new chinese head and put it on the first time. When we got it apart after all the problems the head was almost junk after five hours running. evidently this motor has a bigger cam, all the valve springs were going into coil bind. Some of the valves had cracks in the stems and all of the keepers were pushing threw the retainers. Some of the valve guides had broken and it bent a few push rods. Several people heard it run in the first hour or so and no one heard any noises from it. When the machine shop started measuring the head it had .015's drop in the deck on one corner and a few ups and downs all across the head. All of the seats had chatter marks on the seats. Basically a chinese piece of junk. After spending as much on the head as it cost first time it is working. Learned a real lesson on this one, just feel lucking it didn't drop a valve and destroy the whole motor.