Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3306 leaking fuel past throttle shaft

Kpk · 2023-10-12 14:10

Can I just bolt on another governor assembly from my other 3306

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2023-10-13 09:52

    Maybe no-one has replied because you haven't actually given much information to go on. It's hard to answer questions when we don't know what we are looking for. The fact that you posted it in the backhoe loader section is also somewhat confusing as I've never yet seen a BHL with a 3306 in it. In what what model of machine is the engine installed.? By chance do you have the machine or engine Serial Numbers, preferably both.? What Serial Number/arrangement is your "other 3306".?

  2. #2kshansen2023-10-13 10:39

    I was thinking about the same. If both the engine with the leak and the one you are hoping to use for the repair are identical it "might" work! My biggest worry would be are you capable to do this swap? Not meant to be a put down but if a mistake is made you could end up with an uncontrolled engine when starting. Meaning that major engine damage could result or worse.

  3. #3Kpk2023-10-14 16:18

    I’m sorry and posted wrong , rushing about.its in a 966c . 3n 86086. Later model injector pump

  4. #4Nige2023-10-14 16:26

    OK, so you have one engine Serial Number. Which one is it, the “leaker” or the spare engine.? It would really help if you could post the Arrangement Numbers of both engines. They should be right there on the plate next to the Serial Number.

  5. #5Kpk2023-10-14 17:59

    The doner # is 3n79702 . I’m very remote . It’s a floatplane in about 10km from alaska

  6. #6Nige2023-10-14 18:15

    OK, I’ll see what I can do with just the Serial Numbers for now. Where did the spare engine come from, another 966C or a different machine altogether.?

  7. #7Kpk2023-10-14 19:30

    Another 966c

  8. #8Kpk2023-10-14 19:58

    Spare engine is in 966c

  9. #9Nige2023-10-15 05:28

    Sorry I've gone at it every way I could think of but without the Arrangement Numbers of the two engines I'm stuck. The problem is that build data is not listed for engines of that vintage so I can't search anything on the basis of just a Serial Number. To complicate matters there are multiple engine arrangements, all with 3N prefix, listed for 966C. All I can tell you is that if the Arrangement Numbers of the two engines is the same then the governor from one should directly interchange with the governor on the other with the caveat "so long as everything is as per The Book". If someone has been in there messing all bets are off.

  10. #10Kpk2023-10-15 12:12

    I sure appreciate your efforts to help .

  11. #11kshansen2023-10-15 17:59

    Are you or do you have someone capable of just resealing the original governor? Of course the problem could be the shaft has wear or damage where the seal rides. Someone else on the forum did just that a week or two ago. Checkout this thread: Cat 951C fuel governor shaft​

  12. #12Kpk2023-10-15 20:21

    I can re seal it . But in a fly in camp . Northwest bc and parts are on order

  13. #1356wrench2023-10-15 20:37

    If thats a sleeve metering injection pump, the governor is easy to reseal in the field. A seal, a gasket and maybe a couple of the yellow o’rings if i remember correctly