Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3306 liner protrusion measuring issues

workshoprat92 · 2024-11-03 13:27

I have my 3306B all set up like the manual says with the spacer plate installed and bolted down all torqued. Got my liner hold down tool installed which is the tool the cat book lists. I have the central tools liner height gauge. I find I am having great difficulty accessing a spot to take the readings. With all the junk in the way its about impossible to get the gauge in and do the reading. I find i have to move and reset the indicator at every position or things just will not fit. Is there a better way or better tool. If the indicator stem was longer where it could be up above the hold down tool would be great but i dont see anything like that avalible. The 3406 cat looks like there is .uch more room to work. 3306 is tight!

Replies19
  1. #192U 34062024-11-03 13:41

    I have the same tool and had some difficulty measuring on my 3406 as well.

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-11-03 14:15

    Both are time consuming with a difficulty range of 7 to 8.

  3. #3workshoprat922024-11-03 14:40

    I think it would help to cut the nub off the back if the indicator or find a flat back. Its useless in this application and totally un needed

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-11-03 17:10

    For 3306 a friend made his own liner press tool--just because of this. It's narrower, I made a narrow liner press plate using a 1/2" X 1 1/2" thick piece of bar stock for 3406. The factory tooling 8T0445 is wide and clumsy at best. For Cummins 855 I use nothing more than a 5/8" X 1 1/2" bar stock drilled for two head bolts with tube sleaves. And the sled gauge I made below with digital gauge. *

  5. #5workshoprat922024-11-03 18:15

    Does anyone have the liner protrusion worksheet in a printable file. For some reason i cant find anything on the interweb i can print.

  6. #6Coaldust2024-11-03 18:39

    Try this

  7. #7workshoprat922024-11-03 20:35

    Tha Thanks. Hopefully I can print this out.

  8. #8workshoprat922024-11-06 20:48

    Got some time today to take all my liner height measurements. Far as I can tell I should be in spec? The block has been decked, liners are new costex parts, and number 6 cyl does have a counterbore cut with shim. Why only the one its a long story. Attached is a pic of my results on the work page. Is there anywhere i need to improve opon this or should I be good to go? Any thoughts would be helpfull.

  9. #9Truck Shop2024-11-06 21:25

    You might swap liner #1 with #2.

  10. #10workshoprat922024-11-06 22:04

    I kinda was thinking that myself. Mainly was curious how they would measure out if they was swapped. Other than that you dont see any issues?

  11. #11Truck Shop2024-11-07 04:33

    I normally measure all liner flange thickness and note it also. I'm expecting a slightly opposite reading.

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-11-07 05:10

    Workshoprat92------you do realize your doing this job the old fashioned way don't you. * Most just hookup a laptop engine revitalizer these days, I seen it done here on hef too!

  13. #13workshoprat922024-11-07 08:19

    I was going to do that also. I want to measure the spacer plate as well. One thing I find odd is how much difference there is in each single liner measurement. Id like to know if thats because of uneven liner flange or if the spacer plate is the cause. Costex parts is suppoed to be really good aftermarket stuff but im starting to have my doubts.

  14. #14workshoprat922024-11-07 08:21

    Im just old school that way!

  15. #1556wrench2024-11-07 08:52

    When you set the liners down, did you spin them back and forth a couple times before you clamped them down? Sometimes it will cause a small change. Its been a long time since i did a 3306 but on a fresh deck with new liners i think the spec should be more like .004 to .006” . Over time and operating hours they will sink. Your numbers seem a little bit shy. What do the specs say?

  16. #16Truck Shop2024-11-07 09:58

    About the only way to change that is a thinner spacer plate.

  17. #17workshoprat922024-11-07 11:03

    Im just old school that way! Specs say .0013 to .0069. I think its a bit shy also but it is in spec. Like truck shop says a thinner spacer is about my only option. I did swap #1 and number 2 with not much change

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-11-07 14:52

    Well--food for thought a Series 60 is real low--a max height of .003.

  19. #19workshoprat922024-11-07 15:06

    Just about ready to do the final install. Had to build a liner install tool. I did switch the number one and two back. I dont like the idea of number two being a tad higher than one. I will be glad to get this done and move on to getting pistons and rods in.