Can I replace my 3306 B cat engine with a 3306 PG cat engine?
I think you're going to need to provide serial numbers and arrangement numbers for both engines. Do you mean PC engine instead of PG?
It's a 966 cat wheel loader with a 3306 B engine that needs to be replaced. So, I found a 3306 PG cat engine. The serial numbers for the 3306 B cat engine is 08775968 and the serial number for the 3306 PC (or PG) engine is 66D 26776. Are they compatible?
It's a 3306PC, not PG. Those older 3306s and 3304s used precombustion chambers rather than direct injection.
To answer your question requires the Arrangement Number of the 66B engine. It will be there on the plate right beside the Serial Number. Might also quote the Arrgt # of your 3306B as well. 66B are industrial engines as opposed to machine engines and if it came from a fixed-RPM application such as a generator set then it will not fit your 966 without extensive modifications.
Like Nige says replacing a wheel loader engine with an industrial engine would mean making many changes to the industrial engine. Not the least of all would be the fact that the loader engine has a pump drive that an industrial engine might not have. Also a loader engine probably has a different oil pump and pan arraignment and fuel pump, turbo and..... More I think about it the more problems come to mind. Guess the question I would have is what is wrong with the engine in the 966? Might be easier to just fix that one if the crank and block are reusable.
I might be able to a fix the 966 with a line bore, but the bearings spun inside the block. Neither are use able. So, do you think the crank and block will work if I change all the accessories? Or is that not even possible?
Ok the arrangement numbers on the 966 3306B are 9U2085. 612985. 8E7584 and the arrangement numbers on the 3306PC are 7N7774
So the news is somewhat good. 66D26776, although it has an Industrial engine Serial Number, was a 7N7774 arrangement built for Sperry New Holland - maybe for a combine harvester. That makes it a machine engine with a governor control system designed for varying RPM rather than constant RPM. It was rated at slightly higher BHP (250 vs 235) compared to the original 3306B engine in your 966F Series II. So the answer is that it ought to fit, although it may require extensive modification for the installation of accessories. I looked at the crankshaft and cylinder block from the PC engine and cannot find any direct relation between them and the Part Numbers for the crank & block from the 3306B engine. So they MIGHT be interchangeable, but it is not guaranteed.
Thank you so much, for your answer.. I will let you know how it went, in a month or so...
All I can say at this point is - don't expect it to be easy because it won't be.........
The only Sperry New Holland machine that used a 3306 was a self-propelled forage harvestor, namely a 1900 if i remember correctly. Mid 1980’s or thereabouts
Yes, that's what the engine came off of. Do you think it will work?
Why are you asking again? You just got told there's a chance it could work. Most of the time when someone asks about swapping the same engine but from different applications it's a resounding NO! I think there's a bunch of stuff you need to check and measure but it's worth looking at closer. I don't know if anyone could tell you it will absolutely work without a bunch of modifications, especially when they aren't there to inspect both engines in person.
One way to tell would be to get a complete parts break-down for each engine then compare one to the other, that would work but probably take hundreds of hour assuming some one could give you both lists. If you could just set the two next to each other and see what is the same and what is different that might be the easiest way. Do both have the same style pump drive, the same type of injection system, are both direct injection or both pre-chamber engines? Next might be to compare things like oil pan and oil pumps. Are they both "wet" flywheel engines with the same size flywheel housing? Do both have front cover/accessory drives for mounting air compressor? I guess I could go on for hours trying to ask all the questions but you get the point? Now if you are just wanting to use the "new engine" for parts to replace the bad block and crank from your loader I would think comparing the basic things like engine blocks, crankshaft, cylinder heads and piston part numbers would get you a good idea of what's the same and what's different. If that "short list" matches you could most likely make one good engine out of the two but it would not be a easy weekend project for someone who never worked on a 3306 despite the fact that I would say a 3306 is one of the simplest diesel engine to work on, but still not the same as a 5 horse Briggs and Stratton!