Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Orphan hanomag followed me home

Lowlife · 2024-06-22 15:37

Well technically it isn't coming home till Monday. It will be a perfect fit to my huber warco grader. I was looking for an older deere or cat when I ran across this one listed for 5 hours. Thought what the heck its an hour away, I had been looking at a state or even 2 away.called up the owner and he described what, when, how, and why. So I took a trip. Drove in his driveway and was very impressed with the place. Well manicured and kept. Heavy equipment looked well maintained and under cover. He had his own sand quarry and this was his backup loader. The 44d was very honest. I was sick of seeing 5 gallon overhauls. Unit fired right up ran very well, shifted quick and smooth, brakes worked, pushed into a pile correctly and all the loader pins were tight, center pins while not perfect were quite acceptable. This loader will see mostly winter snow removal and some dirt work. Maybe 200 hours a year. Currently has 11k hours and hour meter works. It's not perfect tires are pretty worn, small leak in lift cylinder, exhaust leak. Paid the man 5k and out The door I go. Parts and info seem rare even with a terex and ** involved, I realize that as long as nothing major goes south it should get me my 5k back. I can repair or do a workaround with alot of stuff. I have a parts book, but all I can find is German manuals and Google translate doesn't seem to work. Can anyone direct me to a shop manual in English. I've had zero success with the Internet. If not can anyone tell me where to check fluids, type, etc. Usually I change all the fluids so I have a baseline. This cost me more than my grader sadly, but it is imho a necessity.

Replies52
  1. #1skyking12024-06-22 16:04

    Nice! Post up a picture when you can.

  2. #2crane operator2024-06-23 08:03

    If that means terex and massey ferguson, good luck getting much info from either company. They have both dropped and added lines in the past that are no longer supported. That doesn't mean you can't get parts, you just have a extra step of finding out where hanomag got the (for instance) brake system components from originally, and then source your parts that way.

  3. #3Lowlife2024-06-25 21:52

    I'll get some pics posted, but in the meantime is someone able to give a spec to top off the tranny. If I read correctly this may be cat to4. Just looking for some feedback on that. I'm not a hydraulic engineer so dumb it down pls

  4. #470 eliminator2024-06-28 11:00

    hanomag powershift uses to4 fluid i have a english manual for the 44..and own a 33 im rebuilding the powershift.

  5. #5Lowlife2024-06-28 22:04

    Yep, thought to4 was what I needed. Topped off with a mix of half 10 and half 30 weight. Did you just happen across an English manual or is there a place to buy them? I'm going to replace the bucket pins and bushings, and eventually rebuild the 2 lift cylinders.

  6. #6Lowlife2024-06-30 12:40

    Not the best pic but currently only one I have

  7. #7skyking12024-06-30 14:51

    Hey, that's a nice size machine. Looks like you bought it right.

  8. #8Lowlife2024-06-30 18:48

    Time will tell, I need to replace 2 pins and bush on bucket. Rebuild the 2 lift cylinders then hopefully the rest if there is any comes later. Exhaust leaks, manifold Crack, so I'll keep an eye out. Other than that I haven't found anything else......yet. once we get by a large project this summer it will have a life of sitting in the shed and pushing snow. It'll get use ocassionally to keep it lubed up and I'm sure more stuff will pop up.everything works so far except the radio and I forgot to see if the heater works. Sourcing Info and parts sounds like it will be the issue, no different than the warco grader. I have pretty well equipped fabrication shop and am a farmboy so farmboy engineering is in my background......oh along with an electronics degree which compliments stuff nicely. It's trying to find filters correct fluids, etc.

  9. #970 eliminator2024-09-06 20:01

    converter dipstick is near battery if it has air over hyd brakes the fluid used is hyd oil not brake fluid. the rear brake line over the diffs rusts out on some. i can possibly get some duplicate information from an english manual for you or sell the manual when i am done with it.

  10. #10OzDozer2024-09-06 20:54

    The old Hanomag 44D is a pretty robust machine in the drivetrain and frame construction, but I think you'll find most of the loaders problems originate in the engine. As for parts/service/information support, you're definitely out on a limb with an orphan, you'll certainly need to get innovative and find workarounds. Been there and done that.

  11. #11Wynn2024-10-26 00:40

    Hi I have a 44C in South Africa and my forward gear engages very slowly or not at all. Also torque convertor oil ends up in gearbox. Do you maybe have a copy of the service manual for me ? regards Wynn

  12. #1270 eliminator2024-10-30 13:59

    the charge pump is a dual gear pump with common shaft. likely bad bearing and seall allowing flow between

  13. #13Wynn2024-10-30 14:48

    Hi thank you for the info I will check this. Could this also be the cause of ny forward gear to engage slowly ?

  14. #14Wynn2024-10-31 15:15

    I checked the charge pump and the seals are hard and must be leaking through. Thank you

  15. #1570 eliminator2024-10-31 19:02

    low pressure on charge pump will not apply the clutch pack fully and it will slip. alos your converter pressure is likely very low or empty converter. here is the 33c charge pump it has two seperate gearrotors. one supplys shift pressure the other supplies converter pressure. look at the test ports near the hydraulic tank and test them in each gear. you could also have a blown seal on a clutch pack. by watching the guage and shifting you can see if the problem is only in one gear.

  16. #1670 eliminator2024-10-31 19:06

    It should come out easily but parts can be challenging if housing is worn it will need replaced.

  17. #17Wynn2024-11-01 11:22

    I have sourced the seals and bearings for the charge pump. I will put it in and test the pressure in each gear. Do you have a service manual ?

  18. #1870 eliminator2024-11-01 11:24

    i do but i need to find it in storage as i recently moved. i will reach out to a friend for details. i have the pressures for the g412 512 its a similar design but the g422 is larger and might have slight differences, i can get you the specs for the 33c and if you are close to those you should be able to generalise.

  19. #1970 eliminator2024-11-01 11:26

    i would also look at the neutraliser solenoid. there is a pressure switch that controlled the neutralizer when brakes are applied it dumps transmission pressure . a slow relase or slow switch could delay pressure rise. .

  20. #20Wynn2024-11-01 11:38

    Thank you. I replaced my engine with a Mercedes 352 and it has been working very well. Pretty solid machine

  21. #21Lowlife2024-11-09 21:16

    I'm thinking about replacing the engine. As stated by someone earlier. It is a source of issues. Any ideas what is obtainable and doable anyone? Perkins are pretty cheap I see above Wynn used a Mercedes. The rest of the loader I'm happy with can turn all 4 tires on a hard surface. Engine is weak, but rest of loader is okay. I got a service manual for it from craigslist.

  22. #22Wynn2024-11-11 00:53

    Hi If I did the conversion again I would go for the 352 Turbo or similar instead of the NA. I had to move the steel radiator cover to fit he longer engine. do you have the service manual on the hydraulics and power shift system ? I so would it be possible to get a copy from you ? Regards Wynn

  23. #23Wynn2024-11-19 13:50

    Hi I have replaced the charge pump seals and torque converter is working well so is reverse but it takes a long time to engage forward gear in all 3 speeds. When it does eventually engage forward it is strong. Reverse is working as normal. Any ideas ??

  24. #24Wynn2024-11-19 13:51

    Where are the forward clutch pressure test ports situated and what should the pressure be ?

  25. #2570 eliminator2024-11-22 18:42

    LOOK FOR A BLOCK WITH 5 LINES TO IT. FOLLOW SMALL DIAMETER LINES FROM TRANSMISSION POWERSHIFT THEY WIL LEAD TO THE BLOCK. 1 PORT IS HYD PRESSURE 3 ARE GEARS AND ONE IS CONVERTER you might also have converter problem is it was run low a lot. or a gear selector problem. are you using a t04 rated 10w or 30 w fluid? what are your temps in the country this season outside warm or cold?

  26. #26Wynn2024-11-24 23:31

    Thank you. Reverse engages fast and correctly My problem is now only the slow engagement of forward ? I think this eliminates the torque converter as the problem

  27. #2770 eliminator2024-11-26 17:27

    check the adjustment on your shift cables dont get run over but the one cable shifts between forward and reverse it could be mal adjusted.

  28. #28Wynn2024-11-26 23:59

    Thank you. That was one of the first things I checked. The pressure on my forward clutch takes a long time to build up. Reverse pressure goes up rapidly. The pressure is about 4 bar (60 psi ) I am busy removing the transmission to check forward clutch pack Any advise please.

  29. #2970 eliminator2024-11-27 00:31

    There is a shift delay module setting I was able to find some pages for you.

  30. #3070 eliminator2024-11-27 00:35

    It's possible that a global problem is dropping pressure. If all gears have same pressure I would.lean to closed valve broken spring or worn bushing

  31. #31Wynn2024-11-27 13:41

    Thank you this helps a lot. I have opened the transmission and am very impressed with the lack of wear on any of the clutch plates. I cannot see anything obvious causing my problem. All the clutch seals etc are in place and not broken or excessively worn. The pressure regulating valve is the same for all the gears (from the diagrams you sent me) Do you know what the oil pressure must be on the clutches? I have put compressed air on the oil supply line and all the clutches move as selected by the gear selector valve. I am now thinking that my forward clutch piston in possibly sticking on a slight ridge in casing. I am going to hone it down and test again

  32. #3270 eliminator2024-11-28 20:07

    I think this is a good time to turn your attention to control valve issues pressure loss issues blown seal etc each gear should have slightly different apply pressures if there are different amounts of leaking in the piston. So if one of your gears is blown it would be obvious as compared to the other pressures. On my machine which is a g12 transmission versus yours as a g22 mine operates at something like 250 PSI I can give you those pressures but I cannot find the g22 pressures yet I'll see if I can find some more pictures more pages etc

  33. #33Wynn2024-11-28 23:04

    I have stripped and cleaned all the control valve . No obvious problems found. I am amazed by the simplicity of the system. Some more info pages of the transmission will be much appreciated. I can get a 55C with blown engine, I am considering getting it for spares ?

  34. #34IceHole2024-11-29 09:24

    Interesting. Not very easy finding parts for those either. I have 3 sitting at home and hopefully can put together 1 for a Case Mb4/94

  35. #35Wynn2024-11-29 12:53

    70 Eliminator could you please send me the rest of this page

  36. #36Wynn2024-11-29 12:56

    I have reassembled my transmission and my problem seems to be cured. I how ever only have 60 psi clutch pressure. My clutches are not slipping under full load. Is 60 psi enough ? Where is the clutch pressure adjusted

  37. #37Wynn2024-11-29 13:34

    In South Africa their spares are readily available

  38. #3870 eliminator2024-12-01 12:30

    I believe it could be a different model transmission not 100% sure I know the 22C and 33C were the same transmission so it's possible the 44 in the 55 are the same The key is to figure out where the pressure loss is

  39. #3970 eliminator2024-12-01 12:32

    Shift pressure appears to be 18 bar on your machine based on the chart that you want me to get a larger picture of

  40. #40Wynn2024-12-01 15:14

    I believe it is a G422 transmission and G 522 torque converter. I have connected the transmission supply through a flow meter to a tractor hyd to test and the clutch pressure stays at 60 psi, something is regulating the pressure to the clutches. When I tested the loader the clutches do not slip and the wheels spin when digging. The delay to move forward has also vanished and all seems to be working 100% , my only concern now is that 60 Psi is too low. The lubrication oil pressure seems to be about 25 psi.

  41. #41Wynn2024-12-01 15:16

    I am not sure if my pressure limiting valve is assembled correctly, I do not get any response when I add shimms to the spring under the cap

  42. #4270 eliminator2024-12-06 10:04

    I will try and get pages. If it spins tires and temps remain low on fluid it seems good! the smaller version of the transmission has higher pressures. but is a different design so likely not controlled the same.

  43. #4370 eliminator2024-12-06 10:17

    looking at that chart you wanted a pic of. is says max shift pressure is 16 to 18 bar but dont know. what port. 250 psi it mentions shims if you are shimming it with no change it could have more than one regulating valve . since it also mentions delay ports. maybe there is a global regulator and then one for each gear that is adjustable with shims. if you decide to run it. i believe you could also try 30wt to4 fluid. it has no friction modifiers so helps clutches not slip and it can raise pressures. use standard hyd fluid or atf in the converter but to4 fluid in the transmission.

  44. #44Wynn2024-12-06 12:04

    Thank you for all your advise and help I am getting the 55C next week I will swap the regulating valve and see if the pressure increases

  45. #45Lowlife2025-03-05 11:13

    Sorry for the slow response, got diagnosed with a cancer so priorities changed for a bit. I found a copy of a service manual for a terex. Do you still need copies of stuff. Not sure Im smart enough or have enough time but individual pages would be doable. Thanks.

  46. #46ibrahimbk2025-07-18 09:16

    j'ai un hanomag 44c qui présente une fuite d'huile qui sort au dessous du convertisseur. j'ai révisé le convertisseur et changé tous les parahuiles, j'ai révisé la pompe de charge mais toujours il y a une grande fuite dès que j'avance ou je recule. J'ai dit que la pompe de charge est utilisée et la boite se déborde avec l'huile. unissez-moi svp. j ne trouve pas une pompe de charge pour la remplacer et je ne suis pas sûre que cette pompe est à l'origine de la fuite.

  47. #47Welder Dave2025-07-21 18:00

    Need to post in English.

  48. #48ibrahimbk2025-07-22 08:33

    I have a Hanomag 44c that has an oil leak coming out from under the converter. I've serviced the converter and changed all the oil seals. I've serviced the charge pump, but there's still a large leak whenever I move forward or backward. I said the charge pump is used, and the gearbox is overflowing with oil. Please let me know. I can't find a replacement charge pump, and I'm not sure if this pump is the source of the leak.

  49. #4970 eliminator2025-07-23 18:54

    MDM parts, Hanomag, Komatsu, Cummins, Deutz KHD, John Deere, Massey F Fachhändler für Anlasser, Lichtmaschinen, Hydraulikpumpen, Fahrzeugersatzteile, Motorenersatzteile und vieles mehr. www.mdm-parts.com check valves on converter housing could be stuck and over pressure. also what are operating pressures

  50. #50wayne tolkson2026-01-06 16:38

    Does anybody have instructions for removing /rebuilding what is "lemon" in technical jargon. Hanomag 22C Thanks Wayne

  51. #51Welder Dave2026-01-06 20:58

    Never heard that term except on new equipment that breaks down often. You might have to be more specific.

  52. #52wayne tolkson2026-01-07 05:43

    Morning, I never heard of it either, helping a friend He is in Hungary