Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

336F rear main seal

deerekitty · 2025-02-17 20:20

Anyone know roughly how much time this job should take a dealership or professional mechanic?

Replies10
  1. #1Shimmy12025-02-17 20:36

    Never done one, but I'd guess 10-12 hours? Quite a bit of oil to drain off, 336 is a bigger girl with a big heart, might be a bunch of EPA scrap iron to get out of the way. If you're looking at a Cat shop, probably be a bit longer since they can't drip a drop of oil on the floor.

  2. #2deerekitty2025-02-17 21:28

    I'd say that's less than I expected, how would you guess that if you've never done one?

  3. #3Shimmy12025-02-17 21:45

    Been wrenching on machines for 38 years, running construction equipment over 50k hours. Have pulled engines, transmissions, swing boxes, torque converters, and finals. I own a PC290-11, not really that much different, I've pulled the pumps off of a 880B, 1080B, and a 9030B Case. It's not rocket science, just start removing hoses and lines after draining the oil off. I'd guess 4-5 hours each way teardown and reassembly, and and hour to replace the seal. If the pan has to come off, that might add a few hours. I'd *guess* about 10-12 hours, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took 15. It certainly shouldn't take more than 2 days.

  4. #4deerekitty2025-02-18 08:33

    Ok that makes sense then, I'll see what the cat dealer says for book time

  5. #5Nige2025-02-18 10:06

    Looking at a random prefix of 336F out of the 30 different available flavours the factory procedure only states that the flywheel (and obviously everything South of it) has to be removed in order to R&I the rear crankshaft seal.

  6. #6Vetech632025-02-18 13:07

    Add 20%. Book times are under ideal conditions…. which they never are.

  7. #7deerekitty2025-02-18 13:58

    And it requires a $2400 seal installer I guess....what a hose job can't afford to do it yourself the way that sounds

  8. #8Acoals2025-02-18 14:37

    Which Cat probably doesn't have . . .

  9. #9mg23612025-02-19 04:45

    More like 50% (especially at my age )

  10. #10JD955SC2025-02-22 09:02

    Depends on whether or not you have the C shaped lifting bracket that sneaks around the roof of the hydraulic compartment If not then the aftertreatment and a good amount of sheet metal has to come off to get a crane on the pumps We did not have the C bracket and weren’t buying it for a job that we saw once every few years. It’s straightforward work just takes some time to do it right. While they are in there have them replace the pump coupler.