In the genre of "Rate my meal" let's do a "Rate my Repair". Pushing the dump off with my favorite machine - 953C - noticed the exhaust sounded different. Sure enough the muffler riser pipe had rusted about 180 of the 360 degrees it was attached to the muffler with. Needing to finish up I went to an old standard that's never left me down - rebar tie wire. Got that puppy back in place and secured down. Figured since I fixed the muffler I'd tackle the leak in the air suspension seat. Found a cut 2x4 wedge in the haul off material that fit perfectly with some zip ties to keep the seat in place. Ain't nothing to this mechanic'ing thing. However if anyone has any pointers let me know.
We've got a clapped out JD 490E with a floppy seat. I found the perfect rock to jam under the front of it. It was like that for several weeks until a kid complained about the seat flopping. I asked him about the rock and he said the first thing he did was pry it out when he got in. Haven't found the right rock since but we don't use it much anymore.
Now that's the spirit.
Pops would be proud lol. Being an old farmer he was quite creative. One tractor had an old piece of cast iron sewer pipe as a stack.
CM1995, I have a used muffler for a Cat D3G LGP if you need it 2006 year
Will it fit? Lets see if I can find my serial number.
I am a big fan of Mormon buckskin. The modern version (zip ties) are fabulous too. My rating is 4 star. It would have been a 5 if you had more than one pass thru the hood louvers closest to the camera...lolol
I don't think "Repair" is quite the right word here . . .
LMM would be proud....
Pffft!
They make stainless zip ties now..... and Harbor Freight sells them, even on Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY ! https://www.harborfreight.com/hardware/cable-ties/12-in-stainless-steel-cable-ties-25-pack-60330.html
Cobbing goes mainstream . . .
Its temporary unless it works
I've seen Mexicans do better LOL
It only counts as a field repair, if its done with supplies that you found in the field. If its new tie wire that you bought at the store......
The tie wire was bought new maybe a year or I don't remember when ago but it has been in my toolbox since bought new so that sorta counts right?
I like that rebar wire layout, you wouldn't have a blueprint for it would you? As for tiewrap, be careful because the latest built-in obsolescence scheme to be that the locking tongues break of off beginning at about -10c and and below that. I have a $20 made in India bundle to return to the store.
No can do. Currently have a "Patent Pending" Marked SAFE from -10C temps.
Two tree branches and some yellow caution tape or runoff sock would have got you in.
CM can you even spell inganeer?
Nope.
I might have posted this before but it saved a lot of grief. Apparently it's common for Cummins 8.3 exhaust manifolds to crack with a lot of hours. Having had multiple mechanics warn that it's common for the studs to break I improvised a repair. I got some furnace cement rated for about 2700 degs. and some sheet metal to make a patch. I formed a patch to the shape of the manifold and after a layer of the furnace cement, stuck the patch to it. It held pretty good and I put a little more furnace cement over the patch. Then I wrapped everything with header wrap that didn't require soaking with water. I used stainless zip ties to hold the header wrap on. You can see where the exhaust was turning the oil filter black. There was a minor crack on the left so I put a little furnace cement and then wrapped it with the header wrap. May not look so great but it does the job and saved a lot of grief. If you use the SS zip ties buy the slotted tool to tighten them or make one. You can't tighten them by hand or even with pliers or vice grips. You need to wind them up tight. I can't even tell the header wrap has got very hot.
WD now that's the type of Appalachian Engineering I'm talking about!
I think there would have been several new entries to put in the slang curse words dictionary.
I once had a leaking bladder on a D9. Bought a football,let the air out,stuffed it under the seat and blew it back up with the little tyre charger that plugs into the cab. Worked great. For about 2 days,then it literally exploded under my ass
Always use the foam nerf soccer balls and footballs in old tractor seats
Like a giant fart.
That’s kind of the end result of you know what I mean.It let go with a bang
My only criticism to your tie wire job on the muffler is that you didnt leave some 4" spikes as twisters on the wire ,and leave them in the wire.
Best farmerized repairs I've seen involved holding stuff together with barbed wire.
Call that one a constructionized repair since all I have is rebar tie wire.
WWLD "What Would Lmm Do"
Make it worse!