3ZJ45968 Think it is a C. If you are reading posts in the truck forum, you probably know that I did injection pump bonnet seals on this truck last month. And then had to re do them with the updated seals and torque values. The owner says it is misfiring now. I checked it out last week and it is misfiring. Only got to briefly look at it before he had an other issue and pulled me away from the truck to work on that. Pretty rhythmic misfire so I started looking at the exhaust manifold to see if one of the cylinders was colder than the others and they all seemed pretty even. Plan to go back to see if I can narrow it down to one cylinder by loosening injector lines. Anyone else have tricks to find a misfiring cylinder? It has a bit of minor weep from a couple of injector lines that I know I need to change. I have them, but have a hard time believing that is the culprit. The owner thinks that the problem is something I did, but this guy always does. It ran fine for a week before the misfire. So, maybe. Or maybe it is just a 32 year old truck. Who has the good ideas?
Next culprit inline if as old as the rest of it---injector nozzles. But first I would remove fuel filters and refill with 50% atf. JMO.
It never fails. It had the misfire before you touched it. Every single time. I learned not to touch bonnet o-rings, unless the customer signed a warranty consent. Want a warranty? Fine. The pump is coming off and going to the fuel shop for a complete reman and test bench. Because, every single hiccup will be my fault for the next 20 years.
I haven't ever heard that before. Or maybe I have... I remember that at one point early on that someone advised me to run a mixture of peanut oil and ( maybe) atf in my service truck. I think it had something to do with lubricity and ignition. Because modern diesel is a tad over refined. I think it was about a 50\50 mix. Maybe a quart in the tank per fill up. I stopped because the truck started to smell like the back kitchen in McDonald's. That was 20 years ago. Um, sorry if I am being dense... What will that tell me? I was thinking injector nozzle myself. Kind of why I wanted to target one cylinder.
I don't actually get a lot of that. But this client.... Yeah. And I have to say it just about always hurts my feelings. There is no manlier way to say that. I started this service about 20 years ago with my step father. This client adored my step dad and has always kind of thought that (when he retired) he got stuck with the idiot offspring of the mechanic he actually liked. He was one of our first "core" clients. And the worst part of it is; I really like the guy. Hard worker and he built up a hell of an excavation company in that time starting with just a 84 Pete dump truck and a Deere backhoe. But he always second guessed my diagnostics. Wants me to talk to some random guy that hasn't even got near the machine that he thinks has a better idea. And I am not even talking about a trained or experienced tech, just some random dude that once had a problem with a similar machine and only has the faintest idea of what fixed it. A few years ago he had a transmission problem with a case 1150. I did all of the testing and decided that the trans oil was bypassing the valve spools when it got up to operating temperature. The valve body was ridiculously pricey, so he wouldn't let me replace it. Then a couple of years ago some rando told him the same thing and he calls me up to tell me that so and so said, " its the valve body". "I told you that 5 (expletive deleted) years ago!" Had the valve body and spools reworked by someone in Philly and the thing worked ever since. Another thing that comes to mind... His original Deere backhoe I think a 310sg, started having hydraulic issues a few years back. I did all of the due diligence and determined that the hydraulic pump was bad and told him that it would take a few days to get a replacement. Two days later he tells me that the brakes and steering aren't working.... (Pause for effect). ...I said, "yeah.... Those are hydraulic functions". He says, "wasn't like that before.". Like I broke his machine testing it. For twenty years (with my step dad) and thirteen years (on my own) I have been batting 1000 diagnostically with this guy, honestly... I am the Gregory House, MD of diagnosis as far as this guy is concerned. But the respect just isn't there. A couple of times we have parted ways. Some dealer or union tech decides to go independent and he stops calling me for a while until he realizes that they don't have the same skill set as I do. Or I get really tired of his bs and stop answering the phone when he calls until I relent. It is a screwed up codependent relationship and I think I finally understand why women stay with men who abuse them.
I apologize for making the forum part of my couples therapy.
That’s an interesting tale and client relationship.
ATF is highly detergent, and has always worked well in most cases for cleaning foreign matter from injector/nozzle tips, sometimes a cheap fix.
is that in Philly hawaii?
We all have customers that think they know more than we do. My "go to" response is "If you knew all that, then why aren't YOU fixing this!?" I don't usually hear anymore BS from them for a while. You can always throw in the "Labor rate $75 an hour..........if you stand there and make stupid comments while I'm fixing your ****, it goes to $250 an hour"
The only thing on plunger and barrel that I can think of that could cause a miss is either the delivery check valve isn’t seating , the plunger got scored up or the rack segment is damaged. I guess a bad came lobe or roller in pump would also cause it. I would start with the basics, fuel pressure and cracking lines to see which cylinder. Might have to swap injectors between cylinders to test. Also check for fuel in the oil which might be from internal leak on plunger seat or a fuel leak in the top end by the injectors. Sounds like you will never please this guy. I’ve seen a few like him so it’s not a surprise. Some will listen to you no matter what you tell them. If you can afford to lose him it would probably be best to let him go.
If it ran fine with no miss for a week then suddenly started a miss fire--individual pumps either work or they don't from my experience. But going through all the process of hand lapping pumps just isn't worth it anymore time wise. Better off to just replace pumps with high hours and reseal bonnets. * Customers are actually easy to come by--it's finding ones that pay is the trick. Best thing to take care of those types is--I'm backed up for at least 5 weeks possibly more as time goes by.
Reminds me of a VERY similar thing with a guy that I wrenched for on and off for more than 20 years. He started a trucking outfit while working a regular job and became quit successful. I was there from early on, just him and me, but it was often extremely frustrating. Second guessing everything! He ended up passing on before he turned 60 of a heart attack, I expect from the stress. I really do miss him!! I got those people too. Put in a light bulb and if they get a flat tire two months later ….. it must’ve been something I did!