HI, I have a 1984 international truck with the DT 466 engine .... The previous owner went from 3 " to 4" straight through exhaust and unfortunately it's just too loud running under minimal load with earplugs firmly in .... Looking for a muffler that will quiet things down alot but not choke the engine too much .... what do you all recommend ? I have looked on Amazon and they sell alot of 4" straight through mufflers ( basically like old school glass packs) .... while probably a little quieter (has to be somewhat quieter than a straight through pipe!) I need a bit quieter than that ... Thanks in advance for any and all help (currently exhaust is set up as a single stack through the bed near the passenger side ..... will change that once I find a dump bed to put on the truck (truck is a 1984 s1954 that I want to put a 12 ot 14 foot dump bed on).
466's have a nice turbo spooling in pipe sound with a straight, 4"x 24"resonator.
Put a fatter school bus muffler under the bed.
Okay cool I appreciate the input I ordered a muffler off of Amazon I think it was just a walker 4 in 4-in out I don't think it's really super big or anything so hopefully it won't be too restrictive I thought about going with the straight resonator types but I can't imagine that quieting down things a whole lot so it was pretty loud before I think I'll try this muffler thing and see how it goes it's a walker or something or another but I can't remember the number off without my head thanks for the input guys hopefully that'll let me hear a little bit better LOL I wasn't sure how big a school bus muffler was but there's no real junk yards around here that has old school buses or I thought about taking one from a junkyard but I know on the DT466 I think as it came from the factory maybe or maybe it was just the rusted out pipe that I had I think it was 3 in maybe? I don't know what factory is because when I got the truck it was already stepped up to a 4-in pipe from a 3-in pipe so I'm guessing three might have been factory? So I guess in theory by me going up to a 4-in muffler that shouldn't be but so restrictive because it's bigger than stock maybe to start with?
In behind the guard on this truck I did a slight recondition on is a 24" X 5 X 5, I just made custom mounts for guard top & bottom. It cut the snap crackle pop from jake operation but still toned it down at cruising rpm to get rid of drone noise in cab. *