Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406 Oil Capacity?

WesternStar ยท 2009-05-16 10:04

Hey quick question for you guys. I'm getting ready to change the oil in my truck and was wondering what the oil capacity is in the ol' girl. Being an 87, that would make it a 3406B I believe.

Replies5
  1. #1willie592009-05-16 21:08

    Don't know for sure, but I'd guess a 3406 would hold somewhere between 7 to 9 gals of engine oil.

  2. #2Bob Horrell2009-05-16 21:34

    If I am not mistaken, there are different oil pans for those motors with the largest holding 12 gallons. Those are usually found on the heavy haul trucks. I think the average is 10 gallons.

  3. #3willie592009-05-16 21:39

    Your right Bob. It's hard to guess the things. One thing that's for sure, they hold some oil, better get ready to buy several cases of oil.

  4. #4Muffler Bearing2009-05-16 23:25

    yeah they do very, I put about 45 qts in a 3406e

  5. #5WesternStar2009-05-16 23:56

    Thanks for the info guys, just needed a rough number so I knew how much oil to get when I'm at the store.