Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

The Green Thing

RandyS ยท 2009-05-15 22:25

OK so I bought an old Sunbelt Isuzu NQR Service Truck, thought I would post some pictures as we make some progress with it. Got it last Friday, then the front transmission seal blew, here is what we started with... An invisible truck! Having trouble uploading tonight, we seem to be having some internet problems, I'll get everything fixed up in the morning.

Replies18
  1. #1Dualie2009-05-16 01:18

    You probably got a great deal on that green weenie. Around here they been selling those units with very very very reasonable prices

  2. #2RandyS2009-05-16 11:11

    Yes they are an excellent deal if you can find one that has been taken care of. I'm looking for another or two... OK, so here's what we started with last Friday...

  3. #3RandyS2009-05-16 11:17

    Tried to drive it back from Ohio, trans seal blew, went back Sunday and got it. Replaced front trans seal, cleaned, lettered, installed air compressor, 4 new rear tires, etc. I had EVERY intention of painting it but I'm already over budget on this truck, so Green It Is (for a while). Finally got to use it a little yesterday, replaced a water pump on a D3....

  4. #4td25c2009-05-16 20:00

    The service truck looks great Randy.I see it has alot of toolbox space which is important because we never have "brakedowns" at the shop.Add a crane and welder to it and there wont be to many problems you cant fix in the field.I forgot to say that your customers wont care what brand or color the truck is as long as there equipment is running again.

  5. #5willie592009-05-16 20:44

    That's that green thing that was on our lot this week! I almost didn't see it because it blended in with the green JLG's on the lot! It's a cool truck, lots of potential, when his wife allows him to spend a little more money fixing it up. :Banghead :roll Randy didn't mention the cool storage tanks in the back of the truck. I got to see them, really neat stuff.

  6. #6RandyS2009-05-16 21:24

    I missed out on a crane a few months ago, ought to have my butt kicked for missing out on it :Banghead Our other truck is a F-350 and it has the welder, but no tanks, so after doing the bucket and gallon jug thing for over 2 years I'm pretty excited about these! Every Sunbelt Isuzu truck I've seen for sale has the waste oil/hydraulic/ATF tanks with pumps, hoses, reels, and dispensers. The tank unit comes in 2 sizes, depending on the width of the bed. This one has the narrow toolboxes (wide bed) so it has the larger tanks....Approximately 80 gallon waste and 45 gallons each for hydraulic and ATF. I've got the ATF pretty much cleaned out and will be using it for Engine Oil. Oh yeah, glad I got it off of Atco's Lot pretty quick, I think they were fixing to list it! Place has more Sunbelt Green Equipment than Sunbelt does....

  7. #7willie592009-05-16 22:15

    Ahh, funny man...very funny man! That's OK. When you take it to the paint shop, I'll call John the painter and tell him to paint it...Green! :tong

  8. #8Red Bank2009-05-17 22:21

    RandyS, I can understand what you are saying about the "Sunbelt green", however, I would like to compliment you on the decals you put on it. From the pictures they look nice, break up the green, and overall are simple but effective. I like the truck!

  9. #9RandyS2009-05-17 22:34

    Atco...you're not nice, I'll deal with you in person!!! Everybody else...thanks for the compliments, I've been busting my butt getting this thing ready! I'm thinking of listing some names of equipment we work on on some of the empty doors, like Skid Steers, Boom Lifts, Excavators, Reach Forklifts, Hydraulic Hammers, Etc. I've also seen some trucks with actual equipment model decals on them, like Bobcat, John Deere, Komatsu, Etc. but I'm not sure about that yet. I did think I might try painting the front and rear bumpers, the hose reel box (next to compressor), and the inside of the bed (and oil tanks) white, thinking it would break up the green even more. Hopefully I'll stay too darn busy to worry about it!

  10. #10willie592009-05-17 23:04

    :lmao :falldownlaugh :laugh Your a funny man, Randy, very funny man. I'm still waitin' on pics of the oil tanks for everybody to see, I think it's a really cool setup.

  11. #11RandyS2009-05-18 18:54

    OK here are the tanks...Approximately 80 gallons waste oil on the bottom and 45 each for hyd oil and engine oil. Waste oil can be reversed to pump oil out of tank. Waste oil reel is on the left, other 2 are hyd and engine with meters...YEY!!!!

  12. #12willie592009-05-18 22:04

    Man that's just too cool. I can't think of how many times I've been out in the field an wish I had a setup like that.

  13. #13RandyS2009-05-18 23:19

    We used the waste oil pump twice today in the shop, dunno how we made it without it!

  14. #14tonka2009-05-18 23:49

    Good looking truck!

  15. #15crane operator2009-05-25 10:10

    Great looking truck Randy! Are those pumps 12v? How much gpm do they put out? They sure look handy.

  16. #16CM19952009-05-25 11:13

    Congrats on the find, hope it gives many hours of service. Sunbelt also had a Mitsubishi version that was 4x4, looked very interesting for a service truck.

  17. #17thejdman042009-05-27 21:04

    Nice looking truck.

  18. #18RandyS2009-05-30 00:04

    Pumps are air operated, oil and hyd are piston pumps and the waste pump is a diaphragm pump. I'll have to check the specs but they are plenty fast!